1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wax

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DGbass70, Apr 24, 2010.

1. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Sorry i should've been a little more specific.....non finished wood or oil finished.
    That's what i was recommended to use on my bass,Butcher's bowling alley to be exact.But i'm having a hard time find it locally.
    However i found these brands for about $11.00 less:
    SC Johnson's(not sure if it's clear)
    Trewax(clear)
    Old Masters(clear)
    Any of you folks have any input on any of these?
    Thanks for the input.

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I don't think bowling alley wax is needed or a particularly good idea
    I would suggest any of the polishes made specificaly for guitar use or Meguier's Mirror Glaze #7 which is safe for nito or poly finishes

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What kind of finish are we talking about?

Riis

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    41RVG7KQG7L._SS500_.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    The paste wax is good for tung oil finishes.

6. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    NON FINISHED or oil finished bass.....sorry i forgot to mention that.
    I want to clean it with lemon oil and then apply a nice coat(or 2) of wax and then a little hand buffing.

7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Howard's Wax 'n Feed (Weed 'n Feed?) or, my favorite, Briwax (www.woodworkers.com) which was recommended by Rob Elrick.

Riis

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You realize that the wood coated with wax only will be given almost no protection? It'll get dirty and very tough to clean. Water and other liquids will make their way through. Bad idea for a working instrument all round. Looks good when you first apply it though. It just won't stay that way for very long. But if you put it up on a shelf and sit and admire it only it'll be all right.

Butcher's wax will work if you're set on doing it. So will a lot of other paste waxes sold for furniture use.

9. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you want more protection, prep the existing surfaces and apply 2-3 coats of gunstock oil, then the wax.

Riis

10. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    I'm going by what the maker of the bass and his folks recommended.....lemon oil 1st. then wax n buff with the product mentioned above.

11. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Cool.....my local shop has the Howard's Feed n wax thx.

12. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not sure who Howard is or exactly what he's feeding but I hear good things about the product. Never used it myself as I have a lifetime supply of BriWax.....one can = lifetime supply.

What brand / model of bass are we talking here?

Riis

13. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    If we are talkin about something a-là-Warwick then beeswax is good to go.

14. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    This one:

NS5-.

15. Howard's feed and wax is what you want for that bass.

16. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Is Briwax on available thru the guys on the link above or anywhere.....and do you guys have any other recommendations?
    Anyways thanks for all the input.

17. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Howard is currently feeding the neck on my EBMM SR5 fretless. I looked in three different sproting goods stores for the Birchtree-Casey gunstock care products recommended on the MM site, and finally decided that oil and wax couldn't be that specialized. So my routine on my bass is three coats of your basic Olde English lemon oil (each allowed to soak in for ten minutes or so), then a layer of Feed & Wax, a rub-out with 0000 steel wool and a quick polishing with a microfiber cloth. The back of that neck feels like silk.

18. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    First question...does that Spector really have a oil / wax finish or is it a polymerized whatever treatment (which looks like an oil finish)?

I found the Tru-Oil at Bass Pro Shoppes locally...or they stocked it last time I looked. Anybody need some? I bought the BriWax via woodworkers.com a couple years ago. Wasn't cheap but worked as promised.

Riis

19. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    It's oil/wax not the other type of finish.....right now it feels kinda dry in some spots.

BTW folks thank you very much for the input....i'll be going to the local shop to pick up something.