1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Waxin' a Warwick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yoshi, Mar 7, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't think wherelse to place it.

I've had my warwick about 4 months now, and have waxed it frequently (weekly) with warwick wax.

When I got it, I noticed that in the grain of the (wenge) fretboard theres small gatherings of wax where the previous owner has obviously waxed the fretboard.

My question is, should I wax the fretboard, and if so, how often?

Cheers!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've never waxed ANY of mine.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I have the wenge neck. Though it gives me super tone, I have encountered some splinters. I keep them in place with some krazy glue. I suppose the only way to prevent them from coming up in the first place is to wax.

I wax about twice a year. The body is fine. Perhaps I ought to do it more on the neck.

4. I haven't waxed mine that often either, but if I were to do it again, I wouldn't wax any part of the neck at all. From what I've heard there's no real need for waxing the neck/fingerboard, and I can't argue with that.

5. I never wax my FBBs' fingerboards (bodies have very similar finishes to Warwicks).

Boiled linseed oil ought to do the trick.

6. sregoryor

sregoryor

Mar 7, 2003
    I got this from a tech at Warwick

" Adam, the best cure for the fretboard is to be sure to wipe & dry it after every session. You can use Naptha to clean it & synthetic steel wool to scuff it, then use fretboard oil to keep it clean.
    You can wax the neck though it takes less wax than the body - just a light coat/ work it in/ let dry & buff.
    The lamination swell in the neck can be sanded & finished with steel wool, then re-wax.
    Rob Busch/Warwick technical support"

I personally find if i dont wax the neck it gets dull, as soon as you apply wax it shines and looks much better.

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thanks a lot!

About the lemon oil/linseed oil regarding use on the fretboard, how exactly do you apply it please?

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    wax on wax off

sorry, I use olive oil on my Thumb BO. I also mix 50% lemon juice and 50% olive oil in a tablespoon and apply it sparingly to the fret(less)board.

9. zavala

zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    Tennessee
    i have a wenge neck and wenge fingerboard and i used some SEAFIN TEAK OIL it can only be bought on coast citys because it's used on boat hulls. put about one coat every 8 hours for 3 to 4 days and never mess with it again. it's fully water proof and will repel the sweat from your hands.

10. Daly's SeaFin Teak Oil is a blend of tung oil, with alkyd and urethane resins that produces a soft satin lustre. Contains mineral spirits. VOC = 550 g/l. Volatiles = 70%. Liquid colour, slight amber.

Apply 4 coats in 8 to 24 hour intervals.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i wax my warwicks bodies about every month or two.

the neck i don't touch because my hands give it enough oil by themselves, and every 3 months or so i clean the fingerboard with some guitar honey.

seems to work fine for me :meh: