Waxin' a Warwick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yoshi, Mar 7, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't think wherelse to place it.

I've had my warwick about 4 months now, and have waxed it frequently (weekly) with warwick wax.

When I got it, I noticed that in the grain of the (wenge) fretboard theres small gatherings of wax where the previous owner has obviously waxed the fretboard.

My question is, should I wax the fretboard, and if so, how often?

2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've never waxed ANY of mine.
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I have the wenge neck. Though it gives me super tone, I have encountered some splinters. I keep them in place with some krazy glue. I suppose the only way to prevent them from coming up in the first place is to wax.

I wax about twice a year. The body is fine. Perhaps I ought to do it more on the neck.
  4. I haven't waxed mine that often either, but if I were to do it again, I wouldn't wax any part of the neck at all. From what I've heard there's no real need for waxing the neck/fingerboard, and I can't argue with that.
  5. I never wax my FBBs' fingerboards (bodies have very similar finishes to Warwicks).

Boiled linseed oil ought to do the trick.
  6. sregoryor

Mar 7, 2003
    I got this from a tech at Warwick

" Adam, the best cure for the fretboard is to be sure to wipe & dry it after every session. You can use Naptha to clean it & synthetic steel wool to scuff it, then use fretboard oil to keep it clean.
    You can wax the neck though it takes less wax than the body - just a light coat/ work it in/ let dry & buff.
    The lamination swell in the neck can be sanded & finished with steel wool, then re-wax.
    Rob Busch/Warwick technical support"

I personally find if i dont wax the neck it gets dull, as soon as you apply wax it shines and looks much better.
  7. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thanks a lot!

About the lemon oil/linseed oil regarding use on the fretboard, how exactly do you apply it please?
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    wax on wax off

sorry, I use olive oil on my Thumb BO. I also mix 50% lemon juice and 50% olive oil in a tablespoon and apply it sparingly to the fret(less)board.
  9. zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    i have a wenge neck and wenge fingerboard and i used some SEAFIN TEAK OIL it can only be bought on coast citys because it's used on boat hulls. put about one coat every 8 hours for 3 to 4 days and never mess with it again. it's fully water proof and will repel the sweat from your hands.
  10. Daly's SeaFin Teak Oil is a blend of tung oil, with alkyd and urethane resins that produces a soft satin lustre. Contains mineral spirits. VOC = 550 g/l. Volatiles = 70%. Liquid colour, slight amber.

Apply 4 coats in 8 to 24 hour intervals.
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i wax my warwicks bodies about every month or two.

the neck i don't touch because my hands give it enough oil by themselves, and every 3 months or so i clean the fingerboard with some guitar honey.

seems to work fine for me :meh: