Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Waxing a Warwick Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Mar 14, 2005.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I have a Wrwick that is long overdue for a waxing. Is there any generic store bought product I can use insteaed of paying $15 for a can of Warwick's repackaged beeswax?

Thanks.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Minwax Finishing Wax. A can of the stuff will last a lifetime. Apply it to the body with a clean soft rag, wait 'til it almost dries to a dull haze, then buff out with a clean lint-free cloth. Here's a trick if you have the full wenge neck: apply the wax to both the back of the neck and the fingerboard, work it in with a green Scotch Brite pad (rub with the grain), buff out with a clean cloth. This smoothes out the "roughness" of the neck that so many complain about.

Riis

3. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I would visit a nice woodworker's supply store and use something 100% natural that's intended for heirloom quality furniture, or make my own wax mixture. I wouldn't use Minwax to shine my shoes.

4. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i got a spector with an oil finish. i bought a wood wax called treewax. it seems to work well. the spector site says to use butchers bowling alley wax. i dont know which is better.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Why would you want to wax anything but the neck?

6. The bodies on most warwicks are not hard-finished. They require waxing to keep the bodies in good condition.

7. Uh-oh, Roger's being cheap! (How's it going Roger?) I'm sure there are plenty of other products available, but it's worth 15 bones just to know that you're using the right stuff. It's way less than the sales tax you'd pay on such an instrument and a can of that stuff could easily last well over a year.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I play a couple of basses that are not "hard-finished" as well. I guess I feel that the normal wear that a bass gets is part of playing that instrument, and even reinforces my ownership of that bass, like a Baseball mitt..

9. The problem is not the dints and scuffs, but the risk that without feeding the outer surface, the wood may dry out, shrink and/or warp, or possibly split at a joint.

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I don't like the sound of any of that. I dig the natural, oil finish thing, but that sounds weird to me. I am glad I don't have to do that to anything I own. Would you ever consider rubbing an oil finish on the bass, or would that risk changing the tone?

11. I have only owned a Warwick for two months, so I am not an expert, but I am following the manufacturer's guide - wax on the body (Bubinga) and oil on the neck (Wenge) and fretboard (Ebony).

The wax that I am using is a quality furniture finishing beeswax made by Colron, and the instructions state that you have to remove any other finish before applying it. Turning that around suggests that you have to get rid of the impregnated wax before you can start oiling.

The only comment I have read about surface finish and tone was from a TB luthier, who said that he had standardised on french polish for his finishes because he could hear that it sounded better.

To me that works on the same level as the guys that prefer transistors to ICs in their preamps - you may hear it in the showroom, but you won't in the mix.

12. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    You know I am being cheap, Dogg. When you have a stable the size of mine, you've got to watch the cost of hay. You feel me? You ought to see my posts about cheap strings. I am bringing the level here on TB way down!

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Contrary to what's been said, Minwax works well and is easy to handle...plus I found a long-neglected can tucked under some trash in my workshop.

For the open-grained woods like wenge, you can also use a high quality gunstock oil. I like Burch's which can be found in the gun and ammo section at your local Bass Pro Shop. Rub it in with a clean rag, let it dry, and rub out with #0000 steel wool. The results are superior to wax alone.

Riis

14. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I use the smith special sauce on my warwick. Looks great & smells good too.

15. Yeah, man, I feel you. You know, you could always ditch some gear and treat your ladies right. Start with that Fodera. I'll give you TWO cans of wax and set of good strings. Come on... whady'a say!
    Hey, do you have any pics of your Vantage? If you do can you post em or send them to me. My first bass was a Vantage and I haven't ever seen another one around. I saw it in a pawn shop a couple years after I sold it but couldn't scrounge up the cash for it. I don't even remember if I liked it but I would like to get it back. Just 'cause.

16. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Pics on the way to your PM in a few minutes bro. I now have 2 vantages...

17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Why are you teasing the rest of us??That's just wrong!!
    :crying: :crying: :crying:

18. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    You're right, so here it goes.

The first is a Set neck model with twip P pickups and a 3 point bridge (slightly radiused). No model number on the plates so any assistance on that end would be great. Stellar bass.

The second is a straight P knockoff. I believe a VSB-695B with bolt on neck in translucent blue.

Both have the original hardware and stock DiMarzio pickups. The twin P is an '81 and the single P is an 82.

I think I am the only one in the world that remembers the days when these were deemed by the community to be far superior to the garbage Fender was making in Japan and stateside. Oh well, that many more for me

Now let's see if I get electronically scorned for referring to '80's MIA Fenders as garbage....

19. Mine was the same as your bolt on but looked just like the double P. I'm getting all nostalgic over here :bawl: Thanks a ton for posting those.

20. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Why...is it growing unwanted hair? :bag: