Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Waxing pick ups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bizzaro, Jul 23, 2001.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Anyone have experience with waxing pots and pickups? I found a site that tells you how to do the pick ups and I was wondering if you do the pots the same way? Simply submerge them in molten wax and roll them around untill no more bubbles come up. Can I damage my pots doing this? It would be the tone and volume knobs from a P bass. Any idea's?

2. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    It is supposed to seal the electronics to help reduce hum and protect the windings. Like When you turn up your volume or tone knob and they kind of crackle a little until you stop turning them. Keeps the windings on your pups were they are. I guess??? This is all new to me. I am sure there are a lot more in depth technical reasons that I don't know about and am hoping someone who does responds to this thread. If I find the url to the site I saw on it I will forward it. I am refinishing my "Photo Flame" AKA "Photo Lame" cause the finish all cracked and **** like every photo lame I have seen. I figured while I have it all apart I may as well do all that I can to make it a better bass. Got to go I think it's time to go ease another fret out of the fret board. I put the iron on it at least 10 minutes ago. It is also going to become fretless!!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't do it to pots, you'll destroy them.
    There's 'contact'(?) spray that you can use for your pots.

Waxing pickups helps reduce pickup feedback and microphonic noises that result from loose pickup windings.

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks for your advice JMX. I will probably do the pickups just for the experience since they are out of the bass. I thought that some pots were waxed? It didn't really make sense because of the moving parts inside though. If I do the pickups can I expect any noticable change. I would suspect it is mostly a precaution and to help preserve the pup? Right? I am also going to add a J bass pup to the bridge position. I guess I will have to add a pan pot. How would I wire in the pup and the pot?

5. Pardon me for saying so, but I've been playing for 36 years and that's the dumbest damned thing I've ever heard!

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Must be the waxing part. Hey mudbass welcome to talkbass. And if that is the dumbest thing you've ever heard in 36 years of related subject, stick around, I can teach you a lot more dumber stuff cause I have only been playing for a couple years. DAA!!

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What do you mean?

Most Pickup manufacturers seal their pickups with wax or epoxy (Bartolini among others) to ensure that the pickup wire doesn't move and causes noise or feedback.

Playing experience doesn't tell us anything about what you know about pickups. I've known people like that who didn't even know if the pickups on their basses were singlecoils or humbuckers.

When I bought my Ibanez Soundgear several years back, I had a lot of problems with feedback. It also made microphonic noises when I tapped the pickups.
    After I got it back from Ibanez, the symptoms were gone. And when I took a closer look at the pickups, I found they were the original ones, but now they had waxed them.