1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Waxing Warwicks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZonGuy, Sep 12, 2008.

1. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    How often should natural finish Warwicks (like the Thumb) be waxed? If you sweat a lot, should you do it after every show? What are the consequences if you don't wax?

Anybody use something other than the Warwick wax?

2. 86pbass

86pbass

Jan 25, 2008
    I wax my MIJ natural unfinished Walnut Precision with beeswax about every 3 months (except the back of the neck). If you put on enough coats it should build a hard enough finish to provide enough protection to last more than a gig.
    I sweat quite a bit and never had a problem. I would imagine the consequences might be some stained wood and a surface more succeptable to dents and scratches.
    I use "Busy Bee Beeswax" for grained or unsealed timbers. The package says "frequent use builds up a hard glossy surface" - just what you need to protect your bass. The Warwick wax was 3 times the price.

3. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    I wax my 'Vette at least once a week,I'm not sure about sweating alot though.

I use the 'Wick wax, if you need a replacement, 100% natural beeswax is what you want.

4. jcarruth20

jcarruth20

Aug 29, 2008
    Western Australia
    Brubaker / Tec Amp / Pavel / R.COCCO / Mono Bag
    Hey i have a Warwick streamer stage 1 and warwick thumb bolt on. I wax them both every 3 months. More the thumb as it has darker wood. and i find over time i rest my finger on the first pickup and sweat on finger can make the wood fade and go a little white. I would not be doing all the time. can always use sweat bands if need be to.

Good luck

5. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    It actually says in the Wick manuals at least once a week...

6. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    I don't wax myn that regually, there are a few faded patches (under the J pickup) but thats usual with any bass without a scratch plate that gets played.

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I use it on a Spector euro 5 lx -- When I would re-wax, usually about once every 6 months. This would involve stripping the hardware and covering the pups, but then again, not knowing your methodology of application, I can only demonstrate what I did. I would strip any existing wax that may be there (I used "trewax instant wax stripper"), then if there was anything within the surface, 0000 steelwool could take it out. I made a 2" buffer pad attachment that would fit on a cordless drill, put 3 - 4 coats (one right after the other sets in, with out buffing it out). once the last coat dried, I would then buff it back out.

Sweat and dirt have the kind of partnership, that some marriages wish they had. Sweat will start to soak into the wood, while the dirt get trapped into it as well, some would call this "relicing", but also wears away any kind wax build up that exists, eventually.

Yes, I have pretty much just used "Butchers bowling wax", should be able to pick it up at some local hardware store.

8. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    When brand new, wax every week for about six weeks. After you've got a nice foundation, you can get away with every other month. Guitar Center almost always seems to have it, I've got four or five cans scattered around the house......:p

9. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I used to own 2 Wick Thumbs (6 then 5 not at the same time). I waxed them once a week which after a few months made the wood darker and richer in color.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Back when I had Warwicks, I used the Ken Smith wax instead. It's a jelly instead of paste, same thing and much-much easier to apply and wipe.