Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Way down low - subs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metron, Aug 5, 2005.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey TBers! I just picked up a moog low pass filter and I love it. Its capable of producing the very loooowest frequencies and it got me thinking about subs. Right now I have a DB680 and a PLX2402 I use with Berg HT210/115 cabs.

My first question is about power amps. Ive thought a lot about getting a Crest CA type amp. My thoughts on a setup are to use one amp to power the Bergs full range and another to drive a sub with the low output of the DB680 crossover. Which amp for which job? Would you choose something other than CA and PLX?

My second question is about subs. Which ones do you like?

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    If you went with the ca9 one ch would drive both berg cabs and one ch for the sub. You wouldnt need two amps. jmo

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks zone thats a great point I didnt think of. Have you ever run out of headroom with one channel of your CA9? It happens with the plx all the time so I usually bridge the amp.

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Not really.
    At one time I had two plx 1602's, each bridged into two berg 322's, one amp (1600 watts), one cab. The ca9, two ch mono, out preforms the two 1602 bridged.
    With the 1602's and the 3402 I still have, the clips lights are on a lot, with the ca9 and db750 they only flash on a couple songs. Ive never had to bridge the ca9.

5. What inazone said. CA9 never clips using one channel. Never bridged it... no need.