WAY off topic....Lawn Tractors

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Wondering what riding mowers any of you with larger yards prefer? After spending a couple seasons with some pure junkers, my family decided to buy me a John Deere as a gift. Wow, what a difference. I have roughly 3/4 acre to mow, and it generally needs mowed 2-3 times a week to keep it looking decent. I no longer dread mowing the lawn, as I don't have to make repairs to it constantly, and also don't have to wrestle this one to turn like the POS Murray I used to have. Cuts my mow time in half. If I would have known what a difference it makes, I would have bought myself a decent tractor some time ago.

2. You know someone loves you when they buy you a tractor.

3/4 acre lawns make me cringe. Although, it'd be kind of fun if you could just cruise. I'd be too tempted to cut obscene messages in the grass, though.

Uh...yeah, this was kind of a pointless post. Sorry.

3. Nothing runs like a Deere! My dad has worked for John Deere near here for a while and it is just about all he will buy. And even though their stuff can be expensive, it is pretty good stuff. We have a push mower and it does a really good job.

4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i feel your pain on the POS Murray. my dad has one thats at LEAST 25 years old, and while it still runs and cuts grass, that's about all it can do. its brakes died many moons ago, so you basically have to clutch in and coast to a stop :D
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Jason, mine was only a few years old, but the piece of crap was made to last about that. Instead of having a solid steel front axle, it had a stamp formed hollow axle. Well, they cme apart after time, making it a real **** to turn. It also dropped the left front corner to where it mowed crooked.....NICE! 3/4 acre isn't THAT big, but big enough to not want to have to push mow it all....I've done that a few times.

I never thought I would see the day where I would have a good appreciation of something like a lawm mower, but in comparision from the Murray....it is like a Rogue VS. a Sadowsky.

I feel pretty old, and a bit red around the neck for saying this...but John Deere rules!
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Believe it or not, I own a riding mower, and prefer a push mower. I only use the riding mower here in FL because it's so bloody hot, I want to get done as fast as possible.

They may be faster, but I hate the cost of precision. Yes, I do care about that sort of thing, due to the fact, that I was a full time lawn jockey for a number of years (7 and counting), mowing an area about the size of a football feild every week, so I actually care about the lawnmower I use.

Best one I ever used was a heavy duty "Techoma" or something. It's been two years, so I don't quite remember... But I prefer being able to mow the lawn once, not mow, then go over it with a weed whacker.

Viva la man power.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just bought my first lawn tractor a few weeks ago. I was down to either a Deere LT-160 or a Simplicity Regent 16H, and ended up with the Sim because the Deere dealer was a putz, the Regent was a few hundred less and it had the reputation of having a better cut.

The cut is amazing - Sims have a full floating deck with a full width rear roller, so I can actually stripe my lawn like a ballpark if I want! It knocks an hour and a half off my mowing time, leaving me with more energy to weed, wack and blow afterwards. I was always ready to drop after pushing the mower up and down my hill.

Like this, but with a 38" deck:

8. I've got a John Deere LT 155 (now the LT 160) and I just love it. My problem isn't so much the lawn (2/3 acre), it's the leaves in the fall (23 oak trees). From the first time I sat on that baby, it felt more solid that anything else of comperable size.

I even got my eight year old to say "Nothing runs like a Deere" when I'm mowing.

I must say that the "mower envy" that my neighbors have is pretty cool too. Sometimes I just let it sit out in the yard for a couple of hours when I'm done.
  9. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    1.5 acres. Kubota T1670 and 2 ice cold Keith's.
  10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Have you tried Gator blades? They supposedly mulch leaves into dust! All those oaks may cause PH problems, though. I just got a set, so we'll see.

Yeah, ain't mower envy fun? All the guys in the 'hood drive past r-e-a-l slow checking out my new toy!
  11. I use what are called "high-lift blades". I usually go over it once to cut them up, and then a second time with the bagger on.

I have to lime my backyard every year just to get grass to grow.

Do you tink it would be a bit much if I waxed after I wash it?
  12. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    cool deal! I bought one of the Scott's (which is actually a Deere, but painted orange for Home Depot sales)tractors last year for my yard---what a great piece of equipment. So far it's had zero problems...good luck with yours!:cool:
  13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I forgot to ask - which one did you get?

Well, I've owned cars that were worth less than my tractor, so I wash and wax mine!
  14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Here's the story. My grandfather works for a property management group, and he travels from complex to complex, getting the places in shape for the new managers before they arrive. When he was cleaning up one of the local ones, there sat a John Deere mower, missing the hood, and had the mower deck un-attached, as it was out of service, and had been replaced with a new tractor. He inquired about what they wanted done with the other one, and was told to dispose of it :eek: So he took it home. My Dad went over to pick it up, and took it straight to the local Deere dealer, where it was completely gone through top-to-bottom. It even got a brand new hood, since the last one was cracked, ALL new deck hardware, new blades, etc. He honestly probably put more in it than it was worth, but I am very happy. It looks like a brand new machine now, and rides like a Caddy!

The model of mine is STX 38. Which is a 38" cut, and it has a 12.5 horse Kohler engine. I know this isn't one of their higher end models, but due to the circumstances, it also has a very high sentimental value to me. My family never does things like this......but it sounds like Dad wanted to, since I am the only child of 3 that hasn't gotten married, and had children (for them to spend money on) in the last couple of years. (I'd gladly take the mower over that!!!!!!)

Happy mowing fellas, and for the record....I have already waxed mine, and just took delivery 2 weeks ago :D
  15. I've got the 38" deck also. It works great for manuvering around trees.
  16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've got this one
    [​IMG] 20hp 42 in. cut. If I had had the money though I would have gotten the JD. A few of my neighbors have them. But hey I only paid 1199 for mine. It was on sale. I have an acre, but alittle less than half of that is wooded with a stream. So I only mow about a half acre. Takes me about 35 minutes.:bassist:
  17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Nice! Mine takes me an hour, not including the minor stiff I have to get with the pusher, and the weed wacker. Sounds like you have a nice place!

Here's a question. I get spots all over the place where the grass grows much higher, it looks really patchy after a few days, and this keeps me mowing 2-3 times a week to keep it looking nice. I have pets, and I am wondering if possibly these are spots where they may have relieved themselves.....does this make an effect like this? I also have a spot about 2x6 foot that is absolutely DEAD, for no reason, and I have a ton of crabgrass. Would a good chemical spray of some type help all this? How much does it usually cost to have the places come treat your lawn?
  18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yes on the pets thing. Since the major ingredient in most ferts is urea, fidos direct application makes it grow faster. Unless it really hot and dry, then it just burns the grass. As for the 2x6 dead spot, try tilling in some organic compounds like composted cow manure then seed or sod. As for the crabgrass, try the scotts turf builder plus weed control. Apply it after it rains so the granules stick to the weed leaves. Hope this helps