WAY outta the ordinary...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist4ever, May 27, 2002.

1. John and ryan plz move if its not in the right spot

in the short period of time ive owned my bass i have not noticed a small gap at the very end of my fret board it kinda tilited theneck down until tonight...... so i took the neck off an di found a small 5mm by 12 mm piec of plastic stuck in the neck pocket...

so i took it out and now i imagine i can get my action down way lower....

but on to my question... is it normal for companies to shim their necks straight outta the factory?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't know what kind of stunts they pull these days with low-priced basses made in the Orient. However, buying any new bass with a neck shim is abnormal, IME.

I doubt the factory shimmed it. That would raise production costs at the factory in Indonesia, (assuming that's where it was made. Indonesian Washburns are known for workmanship problems). Factory Quality Control for a $300 bass may not even exist at all.

Whomever you bought it from, more likely, found the action/neck unsatisfactory and tried to correct whatever problem they saw. The cool thing is someone took the trouble to try improving it.

You say you "imagine" you can get the action lower. Can you do that, without having the strings buzz against the frets and/or having some wobble in the neck??? The shim was likely put in for a good reason.

If you took it out and the bass is even better, congrats!
  3. i figured out why they put the shim in... it was to correct a small problem of them cutting the pocket too deep by probably 1/64" so i put a smaller shim in it.. and now ive got a good action.

the shim was only 1 inch in length so i cut one out of a piece of plastirubber type stuff that was as wide as the neck pocket...

it seems to be funky on the intonation though... all the saddles are WAY forward.. like only 4 or 5 turns on the b string and almost none at all on the e
    There is like maybe a 5degree angle across them all..
  4. Any time you do anything to your bass, replace strings, take the neck off etc, you're gonna have to re-intonate. That's normal.
  5. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    A luthier guy I know told me that the machines need to be reset after a certain amount of pieces run. The shims are used to true up the fit of those slightly off. This would be on your production line basses.
  6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I guess the "stunt"...is making good basses at reasonable prices.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think my Zon may have a shim. Personally, I don't have a problem with it.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Over the years, I have bought 4 production basses that had shims, brand new.

My Zon has a shim, but I put it there myself. Couldn't get the action as low as I liked, because there is not a truss rod.
  9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I think all of the Wal Mk1's have a shim, it's a wood shim and it's glued to the neck.
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    shims are not necessarily a bad thing, within reason and given the fact that they are installed properly.