1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

way to rewire a 4ohm cab to an 8ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassking511, Dec 8, 2006.

1. im getting a carvin 215 4ohms. and a gh 1001 rb-II. i want to add a avatar 2x10 for the extra punch. any way i can set it up to have a total of 4ohm load (rewire the 2x15, etc)

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    No...

If you have a two speaker cabinet that is 4 ohms, each speaker is 8 ohm. Your only two choices are 4 ohms (parallel) or 16 ohms (series).

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1

No way you can incorporate the 2x10 unless you wire the 2x15's speakers in series. But like Billy said, the load increases to 16 Ohms, so that cabinet's going to get a LOT less power than it's getting now.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you went with an 800RB (rather than the 1001RB) you could drive the Carvin 2x15 full-range with the 300 watt amp (at 4 ohms) then get an 8 ohm Avatar 2x10 and drive it full-range with the 100 watt amp (which has a minimum load impedance of 8 ohms).

That would probaby work pretty well.

5. the 800 rb idea is good except i want a little more power...if i wanted more power could i slave a power amp and add the avatar to that....that being said....if i used the power amp out jack would it then shut off the internal power amp or could i power both like so:

1001 rb-II--------->carvin 2x15
    I
    I
    I
    v
    (power amp)
    I
    I
    V

6. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    So get the 2001RB, or whatever the biamp GK is.

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Most of them bi-amp :D

But yeah, I know what you mean - the dual poweramp thing. The 2001RB is the one for that!

You can use each poweramp separately on it, and have 540W RMS @ 2 Ohms per side. So you could have up to FOUR 4-Ohm cabs in all, or TWO 2-Ohm cabs (or FOUR 8-Ohm cabs, since it has four outputs in all, two on each side). Perfect for driving a stack on each side of the stage.

When the poweramps are bridged, the result is 1080W RMS @ 4 Ohms. Perfect for driving that one massive stack some of us have :D

8. ok 2 problems with those last suggestions.

1) i dont have enough $ for a 2001 plus my cab...if anything i would buy the avatar and power later(i need an amp now)

2)i want the extra power amp because my cab is already 4ohm and i want to add a 2x10 but the only way is to run it through a slave..other wise the impedance would be >2 ohms..not good

i like the idea of the 800rb biamp idea..but the only prob with thats is that it is too underpowered 4 me and the bi-amp on the new(i think) heads are crossover connected, not just 2 separate amps running full range

9. technically..the 2001 is a quad amp or a dual bi-amp( if u want to look at it that way):)

10. Consider a Carvin B1500. Lots of power, and it can be run down to 2 ohms, so you should be fine with a 2.67 ohm load.