Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Way To Shoot Me Down, A$$.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Feb 21, 2005.

1. I haven't posted a "I feel like S**t" thread in a while; I guess now's the time, seeing as I do.

I went for my license yesterday with a friend, but failed the first part of the test. In South Australia you have to sit a test with two components to get your learner's permit - Part A is the Give Way test, and Part B is a series of multiple choice questions about road rules and road safety.

Part A has eight examples of when you have to give way on the roads; you have to get them all right to proceed to Part B.

Here's the part I tell you that not a lot of people get past the Give Ways on their first go. My friend (other friend, not the one who went with me) went three times before he got his L's.

But this didn't seem to sink in with another friend of mine (... complicated story behind my friend. I know, it sounds like I have tons of them...). As soon as I turned up at Spanish class today he said to me "So I hear you failed your L's test? Gee whiz, Steph; how embarrassing!"

Now this friend is the most important person in my life. His opinion matters the most to me, and for him to say that to me was like... it was the most painful thing I had ever experienced for quite some time. I don't want him to think I'm a failure - I've already done it once already to him (fail, that is), and the last thing I wanted was to do it again. So I was p***ed.

I still am a bit, but after writing it all out it's kinda made me feel a bit better. But still; it upset me a lot.

And I felt it was necessary that you all had to put up with me b****ing about stuff you don't care about. So there.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You have to let him know. A lot of times, I'll say something to someone, and not know that they took it to heart, or took offense to it. He's not going to know unless you tell him. It's alright, though. Just don't let that stuff work at you. Don't go to bed angry. Make amends before the day is up. Always works well for me.

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Either that or get over it. From the sounds of things he was just joking, so it's nothing to get worked up about.

4. I know what you mean... I found pictures of my ex (She would argue we weren't even in a relationship.. I can see where she's coming from.) kissing her boyfriend... I was so stupid an naive to think I could win her back... and I think I subconciously told myself she didn't have a boyfriend so I could keep trying to win her back... :(

5. I can remember once upon a time when that happened to me.. "hey Gaz you got ya L's yet? bahwahhaa!!!", i remember coz that was only last year.. i got my P's december 20, 2004. And im turning 23 this year!!!! But i dont care coz i got my car just a few weeks ago and i love it.

I know you dont feel to great atm, but once you get that that license its all down hill, hang in the steph, there are other things worth stressing over :)

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Just wait till you get to be 85, the theoretical test will be the least of your problems. Sounds like time to talk with your friend though. :)

7. oi i am 30 and don't have my L's.........ohh man, :crying:

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

We have a two-part driving test with a long theory part in the UK - I only took my test comparativey recently(for reasons too long to go into here) and it was initially quite embarassing to be amongst all these 17 year-olds when I was closer to 40 ! :meh:

But then it wasn't so bad when I was the only one who actually passed and my instructor told me that I was one of the very few she knew who had passed both tests on their first attempt! :)

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Show him the sunburn pic. That'll shut him up.

10. :D

:bag:
    Leigh

11. ROFLMFAO!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

12. Where would one find this pic?

:confused:

:)

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I got my license(s) in the first attempt (I have a motorbike license as well). I'm not bragging, I'm asking you to riddle me this:-

It's hard to get a license right? It must be because hardy anyone gets it first go, right? Well then why are are roads still full of totally incompenent drivers? How did they get their licenses if they have no concept of even basic road safety?

14. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Phah! That's not embarrassing!

In Britain, as Bruce was saying, we have a two part theory test. The first bit is multiple choice, the second bit is hazard perception, where you get clips of hazardous situations and you have to click the mouse button when you see danger... first bit, no problem. I got 100% every time. Second bit, oh dear... it took me three attempts to get it (third time I realised there was no trick to it... see a kid with a ball, click the button, don't wait for him to run into the road).

That's not too bad. Here's the embarrassing bit. You need to have a valid theory certificate to sit the practical test. A theory certificate is valid for two years. I have a driving test in two weeks and if I fail I'll have to sit the theory again. :meh:

15. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I couldn't get my license on my first attempt due to various issues of paperwork and bureaucracy. Because I had to reschedule, I couldn't get it for nearly three weeks ( my mom was really busy ). Those were the most painful two'ish three'ish weeks of my life, and I literally thought I would kill myself at the time. Having important events scheduled around that time period that would require my driving didn't help either, but alas, I got my license and all was good in the world.

16. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    These stories aren't embarrassing. You haven't REALLY been embarrassed until you've pee'd and crapped your pants while mountain biking with like twenty other kids. Yeah, I'm not friends with that kid anymore.........

17. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I have only one question, why are you hanging out with someone that say "gee wiz."

Thank you for you time.

:bag:

18. He's a foreigner.

Well, not any more, but he wasn't born here, he was a refugee from Chile (a freedom fighter against Pinochet, long story).

And it wasn't actually "Gee whiz"; it was more like a noise that can't be translated into text.

:meh:

19. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm just joking around, if your friend can't accept the fact that you made a mistake then he's not a friend. Tell him to lighten up, or maybe it's you that didn't know he was joking around. Eitherway, people aren't perfect.

20. Yeah, I know. :smug:

I'll see him later today; we'll have a chat then.

Thanks for your posts, guys. :flattered: