Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

way too bright!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by themathrock, Jun 5, 2004.

1. i have a jazz with MIA pickups. the neck is maple with a polyurethane finish. needless to say, these things are bright. i keep the tone knob completely dry(?) and they are still very bright. i'm looking into any kind of p'up that would fatten up the sound. if anyone could help i'd appreciate it. thanks.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    get some flats. Cheaper and they feel good on the fingers.

3. i've tried rotosound flats. the action was excruciatingly high and they didn't feel that great,imo. besides, i'm a DR guy for life. I'm just looking for a good set of passive or active pickups to get more bottom end. i'm not into growl at all. i'd say the ideal tone for me would be a deep reggae tone.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Not familiar with Fenders but I know some of them use capacitors and changing to a different capacitor size can dramaticaly affect treble - or removing capacitors, much more so in my experience than changing pot sizes. Some nut materials are a lot brighter than others. Dropping the pups away from the treble strings. Contacting DR may get you a string recommendation that will work as materials as well as construction produce different results. You can do a lot with EQ as well, like a boss GEB-7 or similar. There's a lot of ways to darken a bass up. It's easier to darken a bright bass than to brighten a dark bass in my experience.

I say all this cause it can be very hard to find a set of pups you like. But you can rummage through my J pup reviews or punch "J bass pickup review" (or something similar) into a general online search. There's lots of dark J pups around. You might consider a J style humbucker as well. You may be able to get by replacing just the neck or bridge pup alone - depending on where your preferance lies. As a rule, the hi-output duncans are fat on the bottom, like a hotstack maybe. A quality Reggae tone is not an easy sound to get in my experience and if obtained the pups can be pretty restrictive. Check out the bass player online J pup shootout in bass player magazine online too.

You might try a post in the Luthiers forum as well. I was thinking the poly necks were pretty much a fretless thing but maybe not. At any rate, there may be some issue with the neck that may be hard to overcome. But the acoustics of the bass in general will show through even a dark pup.

I'm suprised you haven't gotten more response on this cause there's a lot of Fenders out there. You might try a talkbass search if you haven't already cause this is unlikely a first.

Also, I'd keep those pups if you swap them out cause the bass as is sounds like a slappers dream.

Dimento

5. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    have you played this bass in a band setting?

i had the same problem some time ago, before i started to play in bands on a regular basis - all of my basses seemed "bright" to me. my current one (maple/bubuinga neck, tiger oak body, rosewood fingerboard and emg`s) sounds bright, but in a band setting it`s perfect - it fills the low frequencies with a really warm sound, and is able to cut through gutiars, heavy handed keyboard players etc.

6. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I would try wiring your stock pickups in parallel.

7. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Or series...

whichever one it's not now.

8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    It's series ;) and that will do it.

A great cheap trick that people rarely seem to use is to simply wire a small capacitor between a pups hot and a ground. This is basically a passive tone knob cranked to zero. If you use a small cap it will just rolls off the shimmer and glass at the highest frequencies, if you use a bigger one it can slash highs and mids and leave nuthin but dub.

You can wire a push/pull pot to go back and forth and this can effect just one or both pickups.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bartolini pickups are nice. Not too bright. Dark woody tone. Flats work too.