1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Way, w-a-y over-the-top punkrock relic job

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vynns, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Evening all,

I Came across the following bass today on the internet. Just thought I'd share:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suspect this bass is more of an aesthetic art piece than a working, gigging instrument. Still think it looks absolutely badass though.

The bass was [built//demolished] by a Dutch designer whose name escapes me at the moment. Dude built some more crazy stuff, you can find it at the following url, if you are so inclined.

http://www.bas-extravaganza.nl/?page=home

By the way, this is not an advertisement for the guy or something, we're not affiliated. Just thought it was interesting.

2. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    bad a$$. I want a chain strap like that.

3. must sound great.

4. No, thank you. :)

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've seen that before and I love it as a work of folk art.

The "fingerboard" looks to be dead flat and the only other thing is that it's got no duct tape.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm okay with relicing, but not entirely in favor of it. This however... I'm not even okay with this. To my eyes its garbage. I can appreciate the work that's gone into this, and the aesthetic style was certainly nailed, but... wow... Horrible.

7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    When I was a kid, I jammed with this great big dude that palyed a Les Paul an used a dog chain as a strap.
    How cool would it be if that bass was actualy playable (although that nut looks doubtful)

8. I would love to go to my local repair shop with this and get a photo of the repair guys face when I opened the case. And put that photo on the cover of my album...

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I still love the idea of this bass:
    20_Bassen_B15_Puzzle_2_800x600.

10. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    That demolished bass is cool as ****

11. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Perhaps this is an artistic reflection on the average arrogance and skill level (or lack thereof) of punk rockers? The E string in the last photo looks like it's an inch off the board. The whole thing is pretty stupid looking, unless you're idea of quality is how "badass" something is. In that case, you and my guitar player ought to go bowling.

This guy does have a few nice basses and guitars. Actually, most of them are pretty nice. I like this one the best: http://www.bas-extravaganza.nl/?page=bassen&BassenID=26 :smug:

12. lightningDolt

lightningDolt

Feb 9, 2008
    This is how "JAZZ: was born, a guy ended up with an instrument like this and said "I guess I'll have to improvise a little", I think he was a former Marine
    Artwork it's great, Working Instrument, not so much.

13. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I love these basses, very cool 'art'

this one cracks me up

8_Bassen_B07_Fluf_1_800x600.

14. Robson780

Robson780

Jan 12, 2009
    If this was a legit Fender, I would play this in a heartbeat.

Too bad though, it doesn't look like it's meant to be played.

15. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    No thanks...

16. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Me too. Looks sweet. But we'd break our collarbone at every show, I suspect. I'm secure enough in my manhood to say I'm not hardcore enough for that.

17. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Hmmmmyesssssss.... Horribly delicious.... mwhuahahaha!

18. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    ... and call the album "the shocker"

19. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    This, my dear sir, is an artistic reflection on general badassery.

It would, by the way, be totally awesome if there actually was a high-ranking military officer called "General Badassery".

EDIT: Seriously though, it's more meant to be displayed than to be played. The dude who made it says only the lowest nine frets are even usable. So. Draw your conclusions.