1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wayback machine: What band would you see?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rapidfirerob, Sep 28, 2013.

1. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

If you could go back in time, what band or musician would you see in concert?
    Being 15 in 1970, I saw some great ones, but missed Janis, Jimi and Jim Morrison.
    On the jazz side, I was lucky to see Ella and Joe Pass(different shows).
    Anyway, I'm going to go with Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green and Danny Kirwan,
    at least for today. How about you?

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Zappa's 1984 concert at the Pier in New York. Although I've seen it literally hundreds of times on video.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Id want to see Jimi, sabbath (like in the 70's around the second albums release, not now) and the doors. I wish I could've seen pantera before they split too. I know I'm missing someone.......

4. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    pink floyd during "animals" tour.

5. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

Sep 7, 2013
    John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison and Elvin Jones. I would have loved to have been at the Village Vanguard when the classic recording was made in 1961. Hearing the clinking of glasses in the background almost makes the recording a 'wayback machine.'

6. All shows I saw in Vancouver late 60's, early 70's.
    Saw Fleetwood Mac with Peter & Danny. Also saw them touring with Jeremy Spencer.
    Saw Zeppelin's first headlining concert in North America touring Zep I.

Pink Floyd twice in a small 2,000 seat arena touring releases for Umma Gumma & Atom Heart Mother.

I wasn't a jazz fan but my wife won tickets for a taping of Oscar Peterson's TV show. His guests were Count Basie & Louie Bellson on drums. Unfortunately I don't recall the bass players name.

Ton's more concerts attended back then but these were the standouts.

7. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

Sep 7, 2013
    Also, the Bill Evans Trio with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motin at the Village Vanguard. I would love to have owned the place.

8. The Sonics...
    Probably playing some teen dance or hole-in-the-wall in Tacoma...
    I was just a toddler in the mid '60s.

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Robert Johnson

10. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'd like to see Lester Young. Also Hendrix and Cream would be high on my list. I'd like to have seen Bob Marley when he came to NZ in 79.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    If I could time travel I would go back and get a bunch of 1950s Les Pauls and bring them back to the 21st century and sell them, and a few vintage Fenders and Rickenbackers as well.

I wouldn't care about old concerts ...

Although it might be interesting to see Hendrix opening for the Monkees

12. Emerson, Lake and Palmer. I once missed them in my home town.

But EVEN more... In the early 1990's Sinatra came through Houston on his last tour, with Dean Martin and Liza Minelli. I WANTED to get to that but couldn't. Within a very few years, Sinatra and Martin were gone.

I would LOVE to have seen those icons in concert. Doesn't matter if you're a rock fan or not, Sinatra spanned 50 years and his singing was timeless. Dean Martin made singing sound as easy as talking - unlike today's singers who need auto-pitch correction.

13. Rush Hemispheres tour

Pink Floyd when they were the de facto house band at the UFO Club

Dave Brubeck Quartet in 1961 or so, the classic lineup

Tool in 1992, this show in particular:

14. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The Allman Brothers, with Duane, Dickey, and Berry.

15. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I missed Miles Davis by one day. I missed Ella by one day. Tears for Fears had a rain out at my local venue and broke up before they rescheduled. I only heard of Jeff Buckley when he died.

I'd see those four.

Oh, and I'd really like to see how Handel, Bach, Lully, and Mozart played. Would love to hear what the performance practice of those days actually were.

16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

Thanks for this!!! :) I forgot, and I can't believe I did, rage against the machine!! And the Beatles if they ever would've toured SFT peppers or the white album. Those two bands are in my top three all Time favorites.

17. So many choices! I'd like to have seen the Beatles' last concert in San Francisco, Led Zeppelin in MSG for the Song Remains The Same concert, the Rat Pack doing their thing in Vegas back in the day, Genesis with Peter Gabriel's wild costumes, Cream in their heyday. I'd also like to have seen Rush when they were teenagers playing in the Coffin Club in the basement of a church in Willowdale, that would have been a trip!

18. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Budgie.

19. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I've seen quite a few, can't complain.

But I almost attended the Playboy Jazz Festival the year SRV & Double Trouble played - which was the year he died.

Always wanted to see Tangerine Dream.

Today, it'd be Weather Report...

20. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Seeing Led Zeppelin in 1972 at Western Springs here in NZ would have been amazing. There was one gig in the country and people came on trains and cars from the other end of the country for it. 25,000 is a pretty monstrous crowd, especially for NZ being just shy of a population of 3 million at the time.