Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WAYNE JONES 2x10 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j.s.basuki, Mar 21, 2002.

1. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    My Wayne Jones Cab arrive last week and I hooked it with Demeter VTBP 201s plus Crown amp.

I would say it is worth every dollar I spent [cos it is quite expensive I think]. The treble is clear smooth and fine. The low and mid is tight , clear and punchy too.

I tested with almost every electric bass I have , Sadowsky 4 and 5, Pedulla , Lakland , Warwick etc at all my satisfaction. The B strings on my Sad clear and tight. Compare to other Cabs I have , Wayne Jones is more of higher quality, finer and hi fi sound.The balance from Low notes to hi very even, unbelievable.

I tried with my Rob allen and Taylor Acoustic, it gives a warm woody tone. The mmuuaa of fretless is so clear and fine. For the nuance of Acoustic upright like woody thump of Rob allen, the Acoustic Image Coda gives more edge than this rig, perhaps because of the Demeter pre amp caracter.

I am more than happy to get another from Wayne :D but the price :(

The other cab which I like best is ACME, and considering the price it is the most worthwhile cab to buy.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the great review:D on a cab that's just hugely expensive:D

3. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hey J.S.,
    Been waiting to hear your reaction when you got the WJ. I'm glad you're happy with it.
    A little update info on WJ power needs: I've been doing rehearsals with one cab and my WT400 and I have had headroom to spare - until several nights ago with a particularly loud bunch of old guys (hearing problems??). Anyway I was running at max on some tunes - the output clip light was flickering pretty steadily. I tried the cab today at home with a Crown Power Tech 1 bridged - 585 watts. Much better. Clearly I have an underpowering issue with the Eden head - not exactly a revelation, right? - it's 400 watts into a 4 ohm load and the cab is 8 ohms rated at 780 watts. Then I tried one cab with my gig rig. The PLX 2402 is 1500 watts bridged into 8. Wow! Though I haven't played a gig with one cab, I can't imagine it not being enough for most of the gigs I do. I'll probably continue to use both cabs and just cruise without ever pushing. But the one cab with this kind of power is pretty awesome. I remember reading threads about Acme cabs that had posts about guys using massive power and getting good results. The WJ specs indicate that they're a good bit more efficient than Acmes. But they sure do like power. One more thing - when pushing my Acmes with lots of power their limits are pretty evident. They will fart when pushed and you have to be careful. The WJ cab is unbelievable. I pushed it until I'm reluctant to go any more, and it's still not breaking up.

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    What's the price plus shipping?

5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Gantt,

Yes I tried the WJ with WT 400 it is just not enough power. I have the same experience with ACME , it fart when I push too much.

The price for US delivered at 1250 $ I believe , for me it is cheaper because I live closer by.

6. Hi guys,
    I too am using 1 WJ cab. I have had the cab only a few weeks and only gigged once with it so far. I feed it 800W. At the gig I noticed the amp peak lights flashing. I had the level knobs on both the sansamp DI and bass compactor a bit more than usual. Otherwise the cab's sound and performance totally overwhelmed me. The guitarist said the bass sound was hitting him in the stomach all night. I love the sound of the WJ. Am considering going with a QSC PLX 2402 if finances permit. I would highly recommend these cabs to anybody who is considering purchasing one. However they are power hungry. It would be worthwhile also considering a high powered amp to feed them.

Regards Pazman

7. The WJ sound is very hi-fi. Big, clean, fat bottom, tight mids and very smooth, sweet highs. I use a Cort A6 and I find that the cab reproduces every note clearly and evenly from one end of the neck to the other. I paid $2,250 AUD for it and am convinced it was worth every cent of it. Before buying the WJ I was considering Acme but from reading all the info I found on the net I soon realized I needed a more efficient cab because one of the bands I play in is a loud rock band. The WJ's are very efficient but I repeat, power hungry. I also found out that Wayne was very helpful, knowledgeable and a nice guy to boot.

Regards once again

Pazman.