Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wayne Jones 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Classic5, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Anyone out there using a single Wayne Jones Cab?

What are your thoughts please?

I could most likely afford one at this stage but given their power rating of 780Watts at 8 Ohms I don't think that I would really need another.

Looking forward to any comments.

2. Used one for a while with a World 1.2, awesome sound. Bought a second recently, and even better.

Main improvement is in balance.

Keep an eye out for secondhand.

3. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct
    Had 2 off them for a while. Sounded really nice. These cabs are very flat sounding which is a good thing for some players as it lets you dial in the exact sound you want to hear without any coloration from the speakers themselves which I think is good IMO.
    The only thing I didn't like and the reason why I got an Epifani 410 UL was, I thought they were just too heavy to lug around for a 210 box. 70LBS approx.

GeorgeG.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

i love it when people reply back to threads more than 2 yrs. old. :p

but in this day and age, i'd rather just get an Accugroove or Acme cab, which do similar. and yes, i owned one for a relatively short time.

and 78 lbs. for a 2x10? sheesh...

5. Yeah me too, it's the only time I get to brag on my WJs. I recently acquired an Accugroove Jr with the intent of picking one or the other to keep. Everything was fine til I tried them together, now I must keep all of them! I use the WJs vertically in tight stages, and mix when the situation calls for it.

6. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia

Cost and weight aside, was the WJ any better sonically? Would they be as flat as studio monitors?

I got the impression from others it was flatter than an Acme and louder too. I'm not sure if Accugroove is actually ruler flat based on a few engineers posts lately.

7. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Wayne jones is the best cabinet in the world, it is a pity that the company is not in good shape. Are they still exist?
    Luckily I have 4 set of 2x10 , 2 sets for use and 2 sets for spare.

8. Sadly, Wayne's not making them at the moment. :(

Sam (my wife) bought a couple from him secondhand last month, and really is loving them.

Good news is Wayne still has all the connections he needs to start producing again, and he may be back into it in the next year sometime. I certainly hope he comes back to it, because he's so freakin' good at it... :eyebrow:

By the way, if any TBers are in Melbourne, he's played with a Cat Stevens show last weekend and looks like it might be an occasional thing for him. He's as good on the bass as he is at building speakers - which is to say, incredible. :)

9. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Didn't you prefer Glockenklang Bass Art Classic as your top cab?

I talked to him and he still makes them. :)

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    flatter?

not by a long shot. mine had a really big dose of high end that the acmes and accu's did not have. not to mention, the low end was non-existent at moderate volumes. CRANK it, and the low end blooms, but unless i had a blown cab, i wasnt happy with it at all. quite a downer actually.

but if WJ goes back into production, consider me highly piqued.

11. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Bass art classic is a preamp

12. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    For studio Glockenklang is the best , but for big stage and need big volume , mujst go with Wayne Jones for the power handling. Glock is 500Watts, WJ 2x10 is 1500W .

13. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
  14. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Yes, you're right, they have to be more inventive in giving equipment names :smug:

15. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Bass Art Classic is a cabinet too 1x 15 , power handling 500W, has a dome tweeter which is very smooth . Wayne Jones 2x10 has 780 watts , in stack approx 1500w .

1 cabinet is ok but 2 makes the bass goes deeper.

16. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I have two WJ's and what Joker says above is right on. Think for a minute - you have two relatively inefficient 8 ohm cabs rated at 780 watts apiece and you need a power amp that puts out say 1000 watts/side stereo into 8 ohms. That's a tall order. Then carry that amp and two 75 lb cabs - and some aspirin for after the load-in.

I've run the cabs in parallel with a PLX 2402 bridged - theoretically 2400 watts into the 4 ohm load. You've gotta do at least something like this to get the Waynes to bloom in the low end. Once they do bloom they sound real good with a distinctive mid presence I've not heard from other cabs I've tried and plenty of bottom/top end. These cabs will sound astonishingly anemic when underpowered. In a shootout with some local players two Acme low B2's got everyone's vote over the WJ's in an A/B comparison because the WJ's weren't getting the juice they needed.

Long story short - I love the cabs but they're in our rehearsal room where their heavy a$$es stay put with their accompanying heavy a$$ power amp(s).

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

yea,

if anything, when i had the one WJ rockin' w/ my old Crown K2, sweeeet mother... it was pretty unreal.

18. Classic5

Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Australia
    Well it's been quite a while since I initiated this thread. Over the last few years I've finally acquired all the components of my bass rig. Demeter HBP-1 Pre Amp, QSC 2402 Power Amp, and Two WJ 2 x 10's. By the way - I've also taken up body building :)

It's good to see some of the same guys here that helped me narrow down the many choices. I've also kept my GK400RB and 1x15 Bag End. Much easierr to manage for rehearsals.

Cheers

19. Brian Reihms

Brian Reihms Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Missouri
    Got 2 WJ 2X10s with padded covers for sale. Only owner, bought them back in 2000 directly from Wayne. Immac, never played out, been in storage for several years...currently downsizing gear. Drop me a pm if your interested. U.S. folks only please.