Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wayne Jones back in business

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ganttbos, Apr 3, 2003.

1. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Received another email from Wayne. He has found a way to reconcile his financial situation and remain in business. I hope now that he can find a way to make his great cabs more available and affordable for those of us in the U.S. Best of luck to WJ!

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    on a related note, my in-laws are moving to Australia, so naturally Wayne Jones came to mind. would the prices be any more affordable if i purchased the cabs in aussie-land and then shipped them myself?

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ahhh, the wonders of marriage... :D

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Do you know if this will affect the licenced manufacturing by Hotwire?

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    lovely. you people think you have it bad visiting your in-laws in the states - I just committed to $3000 in plane fare!

:D

6. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    $3000 in plane fares! That'll buy you two WJ cabs with enough left over for a good used power amp :p
    Seriously though, I doubt you'll save anything buying them there and shipping - heavy and expensive duty.
    The Hotwire deal may be part of what got Wayne out of the hole. My guess is that they (Hotwire) will continue with the agreement. Wayne needs to license someone in the states to build and sell his cabs. If the European connection pans out, I would think he'd consider the possibility.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You know what? I live in Australia and have never seen a WJ cab in the stores. Strange!

8. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Me too. I live in Australia and i have never seen one in a store. I think he only sells direct though. But his cabs are rather expensive and i dont think it would be any cheaper to buy them here and ship them. Actually i think it would cost more.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sorry to resuscitate this thread, but is WJ really back, or no?

10. The Bass Player in Sydney has Wayne Jones 2 x 10" cabs in stock at the moment. Pretty expensive though, about one and a half grand Australian if I remember right.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Those cabs are actually second-hand and the price is pretty cheap. You're looking at $2,300ish for a new one. Thoses prices are if you buy through WJ direct. A Retailer would have to add his margin on top.

12. Just checked out Wayne Jones Amplification website - nothing indicates he is not in business. Wow - great reviews and cool design. Looks like the secret is the actual speaker design as well as the enclosure, rather than using "stock" drivers and horns (.e. PAS, Eminence, JBL, Foster etc.).

The driver design has some of the aspects of the EA models (i.e. Kevlar / fibre construction), and addding a mid adjust to the crossover might actually allow superior room tuning to the EQ method.

I'm interested - once I win the lottery, maybe! :eek: ;)

Seriously these are big-time $$, but if the reviews are accurate they might just be that hidden "Gem" in cab-ville.:D

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Todd, did you ever get a chance to try out the WJ cabs when they were at BassNW?

I was in there, looking for a 4x10 when they had them in. I stayed as far away from them as possible. They were just not in my budget.

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    NO!!! When were they there? I would have LOVED to. Damn it.

(anyone wanna buy a Aggie 410?)

15. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It musta been two years ago. Back just after the review in BP mag came out.

They looked like they were built for the >$1200 range. Very, very nice. Chad asked if I wanted to give them a go and I smirked and said no way. Not on a bet. :)

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm not so sure about what the website says. Sounds written by a PR agent, not the designer, to me.

Hmm, that's unfortunate as the pole piece doesn't normally move. . .I suppose they meant the voice coil.

"Custom design" doesn't necessarily mean much either - could easily be Eminence drivers, with custom specs (as most are).

17. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    First off, I really don't think he's back in business. Second, what's all the hype with these things being that he made LESS than 100 of them in a few years time? If they were that good & for the price he charging(was)wouldn't people be knocking his door down & he building more due to demand? They aren't a good deal or bargain at all as far as price goes. There's gotta be a comparable hi-end 2x10 cab out there for less, but as always, one mans junk is anothers treasure & vice versa...

~S~

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii

Remeber Lane Poor?

19. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Jerry,

Yeah, I do remember Mr.Poor. He went under for a few reasons but one being a fact from TWO people who dealt with him on a VERY large scale saying later in his career that his products basically sucked & he didn't do anything to remedy or make good for it! FACT...

~S~

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Believe me.....I'm not arguing....I'm just saying that sometimes people F%ck sh&t up.....it's human nature;)