Wayne Jones cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ganttbos, Mar 4, 2002.

1. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    WJ cabs have come up in a few previous threads. I've had two of them for a couple of months.

First a little context: Some of this info has been posted before but I'll repeat it here. I used a D410XLT for several years - great cab and familiar to everyone. I switched to two Acme low B2's because my bread and butter gig is a 7-piece wedding band and the more hi-fi sound worked very well. I went through all the Acme power-hungry trials settling on pushing them with a Crown PowerTech 3 (760 watts/side into 4 ohms). I love and still love the Acme sound. I kept the Acmes.
    I also play in a classic rock bar band that has been gigging more lately. The Acmes were too smooth and I went back to the Eden. But like many TBers I'm always looking for the bass grail so I bought the WJ's. First I pushed them with the Crown which is 540/side (into 8 ohms). They absolutely kick butt! The 410XLT went into storage. I now have a PLX2402 running bridged into the two cabs - I shaved 17 pounds off my rack weight and, as an unexpected bonus, I'm able to rack mount my pre (either an Ag DB659 or, currently, an Avalon U5) right above the power amp without getting hum, i.e. I got hum with the Crown but not the QSC - conventional power tranformer vs. switching.

The Wayne cabs are awesome. They do need power though and with 8 ohm cabs rated at 780 watts apiece, that's an issue. Their sensitivity rating falls between that of the Eden and the Acmes. I use one for rehearsal with a WT400 and it works well with a great (low-medium volume) sound but I'm careful not to clip the amp. With the QSC, I haven't found their limits yet. I've never pushed the PLX beyond making it slightly warm to the touch, even bridged into 4 ohms. I could bury the rest of the band if I wanted to (the guitarist knows this and behaves himself :D). The cabs have mid and high attenuators that are 12db cut only. So they're two-way cabs with a pseudo three-way attenuation. When I play them flat with just my bass, I'm always tempted to cut back the mids a bit. But with the band the sound sits smack in the mix - very prominent but smooth. I run my MTD535 with the mid-boost/cut flat. If I boost mids a bit on the bass at 250 Hz, I can emerge on top of the mix like magic while still holding down the bottom. I play fingerstyle only.
    With all of the incredible cabs out there, bassists have never had it better. I'd love to have a Bass Player-style shootoff comparison - wish I had the resources. For me, for now, the WJ's have made my life good.
    Good luck to everybody.

2. Shinster

Feb 23, 2002
    SF Bay area CA
    Gantt. .. it's me again.
    Thanks for the update on the WJ's
    I can't wait to get them. ;)
    PS. I also have an MTD..535. ( Michael T. was calling it an Eclipse before almost getting sued by the car manufacturer) I have signed #18 in the series Sunburst .. wenge neck, with the pearl sliced moon on the head... Sweet bass :D
  3. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Let me know how you like the cabs. I hope they work well for you.
    Your bass sounds really cool! Mine is also sunburst with a wenge neck and board.