1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wayne Shorter Quote

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Natrix, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Natrix

Natrix

Mar 21, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    I was recently thinking about a quote from Wayne Shorter that I read in a mag about 25 years ago . it was

"If all you have in life is music , then you haven't got music"

I took that to mean that there should be a whole bunch of elements or 'roles' in one's life , so that there was substance & personal wealth of life experience coming out in the music in an unforced & natural way.
    It kind of upset me a bit back 25 yrs ago because all i had in life did seem to be just music , music , music. Obsessed.

But I must say , that at 48 yrs old and having played for a living all my working life , Waynes quote becomes more and more true each year . You guys notice that too ?

2. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    It could NEVER be truer! I agree 100% that what makes genuine and great music is a lifetime of experiences, perceptions, memories etc.

Without that, all you're doing is just rattling off notes or put another way, or at best, it's like trying to have a conversation and knowing only maybe 10 words at best.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yeah-
    Music is an expression of what you see and experience. If you don't see and/or experience anything, then where's the music to come from?

jte

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    A quote from another great sax player :

"If you dont live it, it wont come out of your horn" - Charlie Parker.