Wayne Shorter w/John Patitucci

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Larry99, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Larry99

Larry99 Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm going to see Wayne Shorter Quartet w/Patitucci, Danilo Perez (Piano) and Brian Blade (drums) this sat. Anyone catch a show from the recent tour? reviews? I'm expecting Patitucci to play upright exclusively or is this not the case?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - so why is this in BG and not DB!!?? ;)
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  4. I don't know what to expect him to play, I know he plays both electric and upright so I guess you'll be suprised. BTW--The drummer "Brain", is that the same Brain that played with Claypool?
  5. no man, that's Brian Blade on the drums...pay close attention to him, he is an absolute monster...one of my favorites.

Patittucci will be playing upright, I've seen this combo 4 or 5 times...it's pretty out, so don't go expecting to hear Footprints, Speak No Evil, etc. I'm not a really big fan of 'out' stuff; I was kinda disappointed when Wayne went back that way, cause he's my favorite composer. I really wish he'd write more stuff like Speak No Evil, Soothsayer, Juju, etc.

It will be great nonetheless. The musicians interact very well.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i;ll be at that show !
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Wow they are still touring that line-up? I saw them when they came to ATL (the Rialto) and it was the same line... BACK IN 2001!

It was absolutely killing, I think that I still have a casual MD recording of one of those sets somewhere on my mac.... I remember hearing Footprints and my eyes teared up.
  8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    They may play any of those tunes. But they'll probably end up taking them out.

My favorite live Wayne Shorter moment is still the North Sea Jazz Festival in 1990, with an electric band. He opened with a Steve Swallow piece, "In the Fall." I thought he was going to blow his brains through his tenor. I loved that he played one of Swallow's tunes -- one great jazz composer acknowledging another.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1 on Brian Blade!!!
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In the 90s I saw quite a few Wayne Shorter concert videos with electric bands and was really disappointed - it was a shame that such a great player had fallen so low...:(

What is so great about this acoustic quartet is how it is a huge "return to form" for Wayne and puts him where he should be as one of the Jazz greats!! :)
  11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I saw them in August and it was bloody amazing!

here's what I wrote about the concert: