Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wayne Shorters' current bass player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by parrott, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Who is Wayne Shorters' current bass player?

Wayne Shorter, saxophonist from Weather Report, he's playing in Edinburgh on Saturday night, I've heard rumours that it's John Pat..(I can't even beging to spell his name:( ). I know many of the regulars of TB know who he is, but it's the only way I know him. :( again.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well , as I mentioned in a thread on the Double Bass side - just today - I am gong to see Wayne Shorter tonight in Brighton!! :)

All the publicity indicates that it wll be John Patitucci on Double Bass (not BG!!) - but often on UK tours by US Jazz artists - substitutes are put in! I am hoping not, but will be able to tell you tomorrow.

Of course - he may not fancy a trip up North!! ;)

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow! Nice one Bruce. Is he on tour at the moment? Do you know of a site that would give details?

4. Bruce Lindfield

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It seems the nearest venue to me he'll be playing is in London.

Still, it's worth a trip - if, by any chance there are any tickets left.

6. Bruce Lindfield

What about the Poole Arts centre?

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ahh missed that one. I'm not sure if it's any closer than London. Though, a trip to Poole might well be preferable to a trip to London :)

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Bingo!

I'm going to see Wayne Shorter on Sunday at the Poole Arts Centre :)

Thanks for mentioning you're going to see him, Bruce :)

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    He used John Pattituci on his last live album along with Brian Blade........great band!!! I envy you guys;)

10. You lucky dog! A bit far for me to travel... :(

(but I did get to see Ron Carter a couple of weeks ago at The Regattabar in Cambrige, Mass.) - unbelievable! What an incredible sound! ) - hey, enjoy the concert!

- Wil

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, cheers, I will :)

So who was Ron playing with when you saw him?

12. For the performances in Cambridge, the quartet was:

Ron Carter - bass
    Stephen Scott - piano
    Steve Kroon - percussion
    Payton Crossley - drums

- the same line-up was used last year at the same venue.

They played two sets of around just over an hour each. Each set was a blending of tunes, and ideas, which once started, segued into the next without pause, often returning to an earlier idea before moving on. Amazing playing, and an incredible variety of sound - nearly three hours of intense pleasure!

- Wil

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Funny guy.
    There was a time when Carter played piccolo bass with Buster Williams playing 'bass' bass...there's a recording or two that documents this band, too.
    ;)

Regarding Shorter(who's in my personal Top-10 of favourite musicians/composers)-
    I wish there were a LIVE recording of the electric band he fronted in the '80s(Gary Willis on bass...& no, I'm no fan of Phantom Navigator).

14. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I used to see Ron Carter & Buster Williams a lot in the late 70's in NY/NJ.....I really liked Buster's playing over Ron Carter's:eek: ......../runs and puts on flame proof pants:D

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I gotta get my eyes fixed one of these daze...I thought Moley had asked-
    "Who was playing bass with Ron when you saw him".
    DUH. I'm a tone deaf blind weasle bastid.

Anyway, I'm with you, Jerry...big, big Buster Williams' fan here. I think Williams is a little more 'open' to trying different things than Carter. Just my opinion.
    At a different site, pianist Billy Childs cited Williams as the most knowledgable HARMONY guy he had ever played with. Tony Dumas was 2nd place.
    Hmmm, two bassists!

16. Yup - I was slightly puzzled by your comment also...

Buster Williams plays bass on "Piccolo" (1977), and I like his playing, but in my mind, Ron Carter defines how a double-bass should sound - just my opinion. I have some of his recent recordings ("Stardust" (2001), "When Skies Are Grey" (2000), "Orfeu" (1999)), and I stand by my statement - who knows, in 5 or 10 years I might be lauding someone else...

- Wil

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well - it's in the past now - great gig!! Although a lot of the audience didn't get it and seemed a bit disappointed at the end - like : where are the tunes? ;)

So the people to the left of me, were sitting down at the end looking a bit miffed - the guy immediately to the left -who was obviously the token "Jazz Fan" who had dragged them along said :"..well that's Charlie Parkers's fault and that Bebop stuff!" :rolleyes:

I'll post a review about the gig/music in my thread on the DB side. :)

18. Now I know this, I'm soooooo going to go uptown on Saturday and see what tickets are left.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Well...I would read Chris Fitzgerald's comments in my thread under DN Music - it is an acquired taste. There are few "tunes" and the vast majority of the performance is pretty "free" improvisation.

I thought Patitucci was awesome (!) though - great tone on Double Bass and his bowed playing was the best sound I've heard from a Jazz player - he was using a small Eden head like my WT300 with an EBS 2 X 10 - for the gear-a-holics among you! ;)

20. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Hey Bruce.....did Brian Blade play drums, what did you think? Thanks in advance!!