1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ways for a 16 year old to earn music money during the winter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IStoleYourCar, Jan 8, 2012.

1. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    Well this is most likely not in the right forum category, but since it relates to trying to save up money for a bass I guess I will post it here.

I am just looking for suggestions to how I can make money for a Fender Standard P bass over the winter. I have been watching videos and I absolutely LOVE the sound of it. If this was the summer I wouldn't have a problem, as I work as a caddie at two country clubs, but (for obvious reasons) golf season is over:crying:

I have around $200 dollars at the moment, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :bassist:

2. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This really isn't that hard to figure out is it? Paper route, fast-food, job at the local mall, wherever? It's not like you have to save a ton of money.

3. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Get a Squier. You won't regret it if you get in there, try them out, and find a good one.

4. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    Well most places aren't hiring this time of year... And that also brings up another problem I forgot to mention, Monday-Thursday are no good.

5. kander

kander Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I bought my first bass and car with $$$ from my paper route! IMO, this is hands-down the best job for someone in their teens (provided you don't mind early mornings and bad weather).

6. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    Hey man I'm a caddie, early mornings are in my blood :cool:

7. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    detail cars, shovel snow (If applicable), pick up cans ( :p ) there's jobs out there.. Don't go occupy wall street.. That WON'T help you financially.. lol

8. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    Well there goes my backup... :bag:

9. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Well, you stole the car, now sell it.

10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    This is an interesting post...one which can lead to a HUGE life lesson for you.

Asking others how you should make money is not what you need to be doing. You need to be thinking of different ways you can achieve this goal, and others. There are a number of ways to earn money, you have to be smart enough to search them all out. Never be satisfied with a single source of income, either. Unless you are poised to make a very comfortable living from one job that pays handsomely, figure out multiple streams of income.

Figure this out early, and you will never have to ask how to save up money to buy the things you want. So, get off TB and get to work figuring out how you will build the financial life you want to live. And being 16 is the prefect time to start.

Get to work!

11. AccolaStudios

AccolaStudios

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Fast food. You will hate it...a lot. But believe me, it's worth it. I got a job at McD's a month after I turned 16. I've been there almost a full year and simce then, I've purchased a car ('02 Acura MDX), a MIM Stratocaster, GK 1001RB, GK Neo 410, and Music Man Ray34. All of that was new, and there were other purchases scattered throughout that as well. It pays, it's easy to get hours if you're willing to work, and it equates to more bass gear!

12. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Get a part time time. What does the time of year have to do with anything? Businesses operate year round, and they hire year round too.

13. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    Well, at least around here, there seems to be a MASSIVE jump in "now hiring" signs around the time summer starts. It's just my observation.

14. IStoleYourCar

IStoleYourCar

Jan 2, 2012
    I am constantly surprised by the amount of inspiring words the members of TB have said. Thanks. My job hunt starts this Friday after finals!

15. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    Check with local grocery stores. A lot of them are hiring on a fairly regular basis. It will probably be part time, and you'll probably hate it, but it will make you some money. And hey, it might even provide the inspiration for a blues song or two!

16. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I'd wish you luck, but you don't need luck. You have drive...that will allow you to succeed.

17. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    It surprises me when people post things that are positive and negative at the same time. I don't understand looking at life this way...

18. rms2

rms2

May 27, 2008
    VA
    I agree with West Coast Bass, now is a great time to start your life as a successful entrepeneur. If you want to make any money as a musician that is definately a requirement these days.

But I think it's okay to get some ideas from others along the way. When I was your age I made a lot of money running a window washing service. If you are in good shape, can safely handle a ladder, and are fairly coordinated it could work for you. I also did rain gutter cleaning and repair, painting, carpentry, landscaping, etc.

To succeed as an entrepeneur always be polite, be on time, do quality work, and do what you say you are going to do when you say you will do it, and I can almost guarantee you will have more work then you can handle.

19. e.rich

e.rich undersecretary of enablement Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    I agree with rms2 completely. I think that everyone should have to work in a restaurant at least once in their lives. I used to wash dishes, buss tables, wait tables...whatever needed to be done. I still carry dishes like I did when I was a waiter (useful skill when you have to feed an army of hungry kids and all of their stupid friends who seem to materialize whenever dinner is on).

If you can sling a golf-bag, you can rock a hairnet and some sweet haz-mat gloves in the back of a kitchen. A couple more pieces of hard-learned advice, if I may. Practice humility. Always pay cash. Never think that you are too good for any kind of job that someone's willing to pay you for. For me, washing dishes was a means (coin) to an end (more gear). Concentrate on the ends rather than bitching about how you got there. Everyone's had or has sucky jobs. That's just how it goes.

And if you can, try to buy used. You'll almost always get better quality gear than you'd be able to afford otherwise.

20. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    I'm a 14 year old who has paying gigs. Find a band with a dad that's a manager. Sadly, about 70% of teenage bands that DO GIG suck. Good luck finding one… ;)