Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ways to increase the "mwahh" factor on fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Schwinn, May 19, 2003.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Just curious about something...

what are some of the ways you accentuate the "mwahh"(ness) of your fretless bass? I know roundwounds help and I'm sure technique is a factor (it always is), but what else?

meditation maybe?

:)

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    slam the action and play closer to the neck.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Low action helps, but it's really in your plucking hand. Technique is more than just a factor, technique is *the* factor. Experiment with different ways of plucking, and different places on the string. Not too near the bridge.

4. I find that hitting a note slightly flat and sliding up to pitch brings out the growl a little more.

5. I got an erection..
    :D

I need a fretless reeeeeaaaaal bad!!

6. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I agree. I've only recently had any serious experience with fretless, but I'll tell ya..... I've taken mine to my instructor on a few occasions and when he plays it, he pulls more of an "upright" sound out of it, with lots of "mwah". So, I'm inclined to believe that technique has a lot to do with it. Now I guess I just need to develop some. :meh:

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks for the replies fellas - keep 'em coming.

A mod may want to move this to the "technique" forum (?). Had a tough time deciding which forum for this.

8. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    If you have the chance I'd recommend you to see the "Weather Report - Black Market, live" video (available on kazaa, seach by "jaco" or one of the above). there you can see that Jaco changes the spot where he attacks the string closer to the neck to get a very crispy-type mwah.

sliding technique , left hand vibrato , roundwounds , etc may also come in hand ;)

if everything fails... buy a wah wah pedal. you'll have (m)wah for sure :D :D :D

9. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    i made a frett-less myself and JUST CANT SEEM TO GET ANY DAMN GOOD SOUND OUT OF IT:( it is a tad bit tricky and takes a bit of time to get good results w/ it. i am a finger style player but it still gives me grief when i play a frett-less.
    i guess i'll just have to keep practicing:bawl:

10. It depends on the bass a lot. I tried several when I bought my fretless and the Thumb I ended up buying had so much more whahh than any of the others I tried.

Also if your amp too much of a scoop setting, you will cut out all the mids which is where the wonderful fretless sound is clearest.

11. on my fretless i found two thing shelpoed immensely.
    1-lowering the action and
    2)my fingering technique.
    I find if i pluck on the fret board or real close to the end of the fingerboard i get a much more growly mwah than playing over the pickup or near the bridge.
    On my bass I also find that if I use primarily the bridge pickup it brings out the mwah moreso.
    YMMV
    frank

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Great suggestions guys!

I've found that low action is the biggest factor for mwahh on my bass. Mwahh rules!