Ways to play bass

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by GreatGavin07, Dec 25, 2001.

1. GreatGavin07

GreatGavin07

Dec 25, 2001
    I have a question. I have been reading some tabs and they contain things like Hammers and crap. I just got my bass this Christmas but if someone could tell me what each of these things are, I would appriciate it.

What is a:

h - hammer on
    p - pull off
    b - bend string up
    r - release bend
    / - slide up
    \ - slide down
    v - vibrato (sometimes written as ~)
    t - right hand tap
    x - play 'note' with heavy damping

Thanx

2. hoey222

hoey222

Oct 12, 2001
    wilmington, de
    h - hammer on
    you put a finger on your left hand down on a note pluck the string - then hammer down another note on the same string with a different finger
    p - pull off
    the opposite of a hammer - pluck the string with say your 3rd finger on a note - then pull your 3rd finger off that string while you have your 1st or second finger on another note - you pluck once but sound 2 different notes
    b - bend string up
    this is when you catually bent the string to make the pitch of the note higher. you finger a note then pull your finger down ur push it up toward the sides of the neck. the harder you bend the more the pitch will change

r - release bend
    you release the bend back to its starting position
    / - slide up
    you finger a note then slide that finger up the fretboard - toward the body of the bass usually from one fret to another
    \ - slide down
    the opposite of up - you are sliding your hand toward the tuning pegs
    v - vibrato (sometimes written as ~)
    a series of bends back and forth so the note sounds like its vibrating
    t - right hand tap
    taking your right hand and tapping on the fretboard to sound a note
    x - play 'note' with heavy damping
    if you play with a pick its easier to do - you pluck the string with a pick while you have part of your hand resting on the string

wow - that stuff is hard to put into words - hope it helps

3. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

mister hoey222,

thank you much - I don't know all these things! I don't have much experience w/tabs and all (traditional sheet music language also, for that matter). a lot of how I learned and function now is through the ear.

thanks again!

on bass, watt