Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ways to play bass

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by GreatGavin07, Dec 25, 2001.

1. GreatGavin07

GreatGavin07

Dec 25, 2001
    I have a question. I have been reading some tabs and they contain things like Hammers and crap. I just got my bass this Christmas but if someone could tell me what each of these things are, I would appriciate it.

What is a:

h - hammer on
    p - pull off
    b - bend string up
    r - release bend
    / - slide up
    \ - slide down
    v - vibrato (sometimes written as ~)
    t - right hand tap
    x - play 'note' with heavy damping

Thanx

2. hoey222

hoey222

Oct 12, 2001
    wilmington, de
    h - hammer on
    you put a finger on your left hand down on a note pluck the string - then hammer down another note on the same string with a different finger
    p - pull off
    the opposite of a hammer - pluck the string with say your 3rd finger on a note - then pull your 3rd finger off that string while you have your 1st or second finger on another note - you pluck once but sound 2 different notes
    b - bend string up
    this is when you catually bent the string to make the pitch of the note higher. you finger a note then pull your finger down ur push it up toward the sides of the neck. the harder you bend the more the pitch will change

r - release bend
    you release the bend back to its starting position
    / - slide up
    you finger a note then slide that finger up the fretboard - toward the body of the bass usually from one fret to another
    \ - slide down
    the opposite of up - you are sliding your hand toward the tuning pegs
    v - vibrato (sometimes written as ~)
    a series of bends back and forth so the note sounds like its vibrating
    t - right hand tap
    taking your right hand and tapping on the fretboard to sound a note
    x - play 'note' with heavy damping
    if you play with a pick its easier to do - you pluck the string with a pick while you have part of your hand resting on the string

wow - that stuff is hard to put into words - hope it helps

3. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

mister hoey222,

thank you much - I don't know all these things! I don't have much experience w/tabs and all (traditional sheet music language also, for that matter). a lot of how I learned and function now is through the ear.

thanks again!

on bass, watt