Ways to play bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by GreatGavin07, Dec 25, 2001.

1. GreatGavin07

Dec 25, 2001
    I have a question. I have been reading some tabs and they contain things like Hammers and crap. I just got my bass this Christmas but if someone could tell me what each of these things are, I would appriciate it.

What is a:

h - hammer on
    p - pull off
    b - bend string up
    r - release bend
    / - slide up
    \ - slide down
    v - vibrato (sometimes written as ~)
    t - right hand tap
    x - play 'note' with heavy damping

Time spent playing guitar is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Report this post to a moderator
  2. hehe , well here we go!

ill do my best to describe each one.

hammer on - is when you hit the note with just your fretting hand ( dont pluck the note )

pull off - is almost the opisite of a hammer on, you ' pull off the note to the next note indiacted. again, do not pluck the string with your right hand

bend string- well thats pretty much self explanitory, no? ( bend the string ) heh.

release bend- is when you stop bending the note, ( i think?)

slide up- slide from the one note to the next, for example : A-- 5 / 12 , slide from the D note ( 5 ) , to the A note ( 12)

slide down- bassicly same thing, but your sliding down, for ex. A--- 7 \ 2 , slide from 7th fret, to the second

vibrato- uhmm, im not sure if i can explain that one with out screwing up, sorry

tap - is when you 'tap' the note ( fret ) with your right hand , you arent plucking anything, just pushin' the note with your right hand ( plucking hand)

x(play note with heavy damping)- i like to call these dead notes.. its were you are hitting that fret but your not putting any pressure on it, so its like a click.. or comes out very damply like it says

well thats it i guess, * phew *.....

if any of you see something ive written poorly , or wrong, just correct me, thanks
  3. Gabby355

Dec 9, 2001
    Vibrato is used to embelish a note. Alot of String Bass players use this also. If you want to learn how to do vibrato the best way is to get some private instruction. If you dont learn it right the first time around and then try to fix it later on, it will be the hardest thing to fix. Also if you dont learn the right techinque, you could run in to some serious hand problems. Hope this helped.