1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ways to Record for £70 or Under?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by CauliColin, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Would like to record our band with decent quality microphones, without having to use my iPod touch microphone?

2. iPod speaker not compatible with mine :(

3. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    Um... speaker? That's a microphone...
    Also, it says it is compatible with all 3 generations of iPod touch.

4. Buy a beer for your friend who works as a studio engineer? Might be a worthy investment! Of course, you have to find an engineer who can let you in after hours :)

If that doesn't work, you're stuck with a computer/laptop running open source software and USB microphones (like the Snowball) but even that might break the budget.

For something fancier, M-Audio has some multi-channel interface devices that let you record your band members individually, and do post-processing later.

Dekker

5. The Super cheap Barebones method:
    Assuming you have and know how to use a DAW (Reaper) or "Audacity" and you have a general omni-directional mic.

Heres a trick that I used a long time ago when I was just learning how to record on the cheap.

1. Record the band with omni-directional mic to a single track (track 1).
    2. Copy and paste that track to another track (track 2).
    3. Edit track 2 and add 3 to 5 ms of silence at the beginning of the track 2.

This should give you a slight stereo effect. Adding more ms will give a chorus or flange to phaser effect.

Thats it.

6. Oh, I forgot to mention, don't add too much silence or you'll a doubling effect which is undesirable.

7. Hi,
    Maplin are advertising the Alesis TwoTrack for £60 at the moment but are awaiting stock.
    Otherwise apart from the USB or iphone options already suggested it you are pushing it.
    I was looking for similar. Cheapest I could do it was an M-Audio Fast Track (£60 from Maplin but no longer in stock); Condenser mike from Thomman (£55 but I could have gone lower). I also wasn't impressed with the Pro Tools 8 SE that came with the M-audio so I spent about £38 for a license for Reaper which still astonishes me in its abilities for the price.