1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ways to reduce audio lag?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by KingRazor, Oct 9, 2010.

1. I don't know what my options are really but I'm playing with my bass plugged into the line-in audio on my motherboard and wondered if there was a way I could reduce the lag between when I strike a note and when it comes through the speakers.

2. don't know if you're using another program to do this or if you're just un-muting the line in. Asio4all might be a solution if you're using a program to listen to your playing.

3. nah it's just coming straight through my speakers

4. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Most on-board sound cards are going to have latency. For low latency, you're going to need an audio interface. You may be able to reduce it some by making sure you don't have bunch of extraneous processes running, and disabling any antivirus software and networking connections.

5. Yeah I was afraid I may need more than $5 worth of equipment to record well. I'll try to see if reducing the processes helps.

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Forget about eliminating processes. It wont bring your latency dow c You're going to have to drop some coin on an interface. At minimum you'll need something with a USB 2.0 connection to achieve low latency. There's tons of options out there, many under $100.