Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WB superstar USA

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, May 25, 2004.

1. anyone else superglued to this train wreck?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i stay away from "reality" tv

3. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    ghetto american idol

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is this the one where the tell the people who suck that they are good? That just seems too mean to me.

brad cook

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    American Idol isn't ghetto?

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've seen it once. Hell, yeah! Here comes the pain!

7. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Good point. I retract my previous statement.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My question: how can they possibly keep that from the contestants? I had/have similar issues with Joe Millionaire and such hoax/scam shows.

9. pure entertainment. nina diva is lookin at you!

beer & what i believe is the finale of the show is the mission for the night.

10. I'd like to propose an answer to that one:

I have many friends who enjoy singing karaoke. It's a favorite pasttime of many people from Hong Kong, in fact. When I go with them, I don't sing, I just hang out, but most of them have horrible, HORRIBLE singing voices. This still does not deter them, and over the years they have not improved at all. They truly, honestly believe that they have good singing talent, and therefore do not feel like they need to alter their singing to make it sound "better." Or even "bearable," as the case may be for some of them.

I believe that the contestants in WB Superstar USA are like my friends who can't sing, but insist on doing it at high volumes with many people around. They just don't know that they suck. I try to tell them, but they always tell me to shut up because I don't sing. I don't sing because I know I have a horrible singing voice and I tend to be off key anywhere from 1 to 3 halfsteps.

11. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    You're right man. I know many people like that too, there's no saving them. William Hung anyone? :help:

12. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Also, I just have to say, that with the inundation of reality shows, anyone who goes on one at this point and expects anything less than being humiliated on national tv is a moron.

13. i concur.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "Jerry Springer? Sure, I'll go on Jerry Springer. What's the show...? Oh, really, sons who think their mother is a swell person? Great, I'd love to!"

15. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    This show is genius. Pure genius. And very good entertainment, as long as the TV isn't too loud...

To all the "contestants": :scowl::rollno::eyebrow:

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There's this new TV show coming on Comedy Central called "Crossballs." The name is a take-off of "Crossfire." It's supposed to be a debate show but there are unsuspecting victims who think they are actually coming onto a serious debate show to debate issues. The other "panelists" though are comedians and actors who are there to basically turn it into a joke and humiliate the unsuspecting people. I found out about this because there are a couple of guys on another board I post on who got taken by it. Someone posted on that board looking for people to take part in a TV show called "The Debate Show" that was being produced by "MTV Networks." They set the whole thing up as if it was serious and they were looking for people to debate on a serious show about modern issues. The words "Crossballs" and "Comedy Central" were never mentioned. One guy was originally slated to discuss the electronic voting issue but they changed him over to something else not long before he took part. Needless to say he went on the show and got totally humiliated by the whole debacle and was completely lied to. I guess that's pretty much what you have to expect these days when you agree to be on TV AT ALL, not just so-called "reality shows."

brad cook

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Bah. I watched about 23 minutes of it tonight. There's no way this is real. All the bad singers are in on the joke. Not funny anymore. :rollno:

18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    One of my band's ex-singers was on there tonight, in the segment where they're actually looking for the "worst" singers. She was "the one that slipped through the cracks". The shtick was that she was really a "good" singer who somehow ended up in the pool of "bad" singers, and they made all kinds of fun of her, told her she wasn't quite superstar material and not what they were looking for, that kind of thing. It was pretty funny. She's really a very good singer, but she does have that rock-star mentality, which makes her a bit difficult to deal with at times. Last I heard she was off doing a solo project, paying the studio musicians out of her own pocket. Tough gig. IMO that's never a good idea in this town. Hollywood is very competitive. If you're any good, musicians will flock to you in droves. Unless of course you're too hard to work with.

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I totally believe that they could do it. I don't know if they HAVE actually filmed a whole seasons-worth of this junk without the "singers" knowing that they are being ridiculed. But it is definitely possible.

I always thought I sang about well enough to do backup. I ended up singing lead in my last band because I knew what I wanted the songs to sound like when I wrote them, and we couldn't find anyone good enough to do what was in my head.

Of about fifty 'singers' who auditioned for us over about three years before we gave up looking, two were lead vocalist material. Two. A dozen or so were as good as I was. But not good enough that we would hire them and put them in front of the band. The remaining THREE QUARTERS OF ALL APPLICANTS SUCKED. Now admittedly, this isn't three quarters of the whole population or something ridiculous like that...It's three quarters of the people that THINK that they are good enough to make a living as singers. :rolleyes: :eyebrow: :scowl:

In other words 37 out of 50 people that auditioned to join an active, gigging band over the course of three years all sucked and didn't know. Several had no concept whatsoever of pitch-sense, harmony, rhythm or any of those other silly little whatevers. They just wanted to sing and thought they were wonderful and should share their talent with the world.

The horror...the horror. :bag:

20. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Qu'est que c'est "WB superstar USA" ?