Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WD-40 on bass drum pedal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yossarian, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Hey, I play bass but my brother recently got a drumset... his bass drum pedal is squeaking like a madman. Is there any reason he shouldnt put WD-40 on it to make it stop?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No reason not too but there are better things. The main purpose of WD-40 is for rust and as a water repellent. WD stands for "water defense." I'd use just a plain old 3-in-1 oil or some kind of liquid who's purpose is lubricating.

brad cook

3. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i dunno, but a really fun thing to do with a old bass drum pedal is to loosen the head a lot, detach the pedal from the kit, stamp on it....and yell "INCOOOOMING!!" :D

4. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    just remember that wd40 is not a cleaner (teflon), kontakt60 is better.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I think there is a squeaking bass drum pedal in the song "Purple Haze".

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I don't get it. :confused:

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    what's there to get?
    it's like a kind of bass drum pedal head missile launcher.

i used it to entertain the troops... i mean kids :p at the summer school i teach at.

8. Water Displacement Formula 40

You could also try graphite powder, I hate oily messes!

9. don't use wd-40 if hes going to be near smoke machines, smoke, or fire, it tends to get angry and yell at you.

10. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    really?

the lighting cigarettes in a gas station thing is a fallacy i tell ya.

11. cigarrettes get mad too.

Has anyone ever noticed that cigarettes are spelled like Cigar-ettes.

like baby cigars...or girl cigars...whoa,

If you type cigar alot it looks really weird after a while. cigar cigar cigar.

12. Open flame+ gas fumes= I wouldn't put it to the test. That's just me, I don't gamble either.

But the Cell Phone+ gas station thing is bunk.

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Fishing reel oil worked good on my pedal.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh ok...I knew it was something with repelling water.

brad cook

15. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    why is that supposed to be dangerous anyway? :confused:

16. Legend has it that an electrical spark inside the phone would set off any gas fumes in the vicinity, and many an urban legend told of some poor sap who had their cell phone in their pocket while filling up, someone called them and then...

*boom*

17. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    ah i see. but then why doesn't electrical sparks in a car set off gas fumes?

oh right, it's a legend.

18. Of the "urban" sort.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think the sensationalism of the issue is exaggerated but there really has been an increase of fires at gas stations that were possibly caused by sparks and cigarettes. I know that because I've seen several articles in the paper or on the news about this happening in the past year or so. Then I went and checked to see what snopes had to say and they generally agreed with that assessment. Part of the recent problem has been people leaving portable gas tanks in the bed of a truck as they refill it. Gas vapor leaks out and hangs around on the bed of that truck and builds up and then will get set off by a cigarette or sparks from an engine which some fool left running.

Not everything you hear about is an urban legend. It just gets sensationalized in the news.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.asp

brad cook