Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WD-40?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chris643, Jun 8, 2003.

1. chris643

chris643

Jun 3, 2003
    USA
    my teacher told me that a great way to take care of my strings was to spray WD-40 on them (obviously protecting the wood of the neck) and i kinda wanted to double check his opinion. is WD-40 ok or not to take care of my strings?

2. The thought has crossed my mind about using WD-40 for cleaning strings, or a similar product called "Break Free." Since both are penetrating oils (I use the stuff to free up stuck bolts and screws around the house and car), they ought to do a bang-up job on cleaning strings.

However, I couldn't tell you anything about the possible "collateral damage" to your strings or bass. Anybody machinists out there in the bass world who can comment on this one?

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    What I can tell you is that WD40 does a pretty good job of drying out the natural oils in wood.
    I would'nt let that stuff within a mile of my fretboard!

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I went through a phase of doing this - I'd seen a guitarist use WD-40 when wiping down the strings on his Takamine acoustics and since I had some around for bike maintenance did the same for a while.

This was on an Ibanez Roadster bass with a varnished neck, so drying out the natural oils wasn't an issue. I'm not sure I really noticed a huge amount of difference - maybe the strings were a bit slicker and cleaner but the main change was that the whole thing smelt more 'mechanical'.

At some point I got out of the habit - I think a wipe with a clean dry cloth is generally enough to preserve them a nice long time, and I can get just as much speed by not gripping too tight as I can by making the strings slippery.

Therefore, in my experience, you can do it (at least on a bass with a varnished neck) but the value really depends on how much you like smell of WD-40... ;)

Wulf

5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I've used that stuff that comes in a small can that you can get at any guitar store, "Fast Fret". I guitar player introduced me to it, it really works nice and it doesn't smell funny. I find it especially useful on my fretless bass that has flat wounds. I've never noticed it leaving a resedue or drying out the fretboard. Give it a try.

6. I've used WD-40 as string cleaner/grease for years and years and never had a problem. And I play Warwicks. A hell of a lot cheaper than Finger Ease, Fast Fret, etc. All it is is silicon lubricant right??

7. pshift

pshift

May 30, 2003
    Downstate NY
    Has anyone tried stringlife available at www.stringlife.com? It's supposed to protect your investment as well.

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Sounds like a bad idea to me.

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, I tried Stringlife. Worthless, at least on any strings I tried it on, which included DR Lo-Riders, GHS Boomers, and Everly B-52 Rockers.

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I wouldn't be willing to take chances with my main bass. Boil 'em if you want to clean 'em.

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    WD 40 is kerosene based and doesn't contain any silicone.

12. Try some Glass Plus window cleaner, it's the purple stuff. Works great. Always take care with your fretboard. I usually take a towel and run it under the strings and spray some Glass Plus on and wipe it off. WD40 would scare me to death on my beautiful Laklands. No Freakin way.

13. But what is junk that comes in a bottle and does what it says it's suppose to, and actually does it. So in other words I am looking for stuff to keep my fretboard clean, and hydrated and junk.