1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

We are brothers.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Sneakypete, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    I'm a Brit but was at a convention centre in Chicago this week for a trade show. One of the exhibitors hired a band to play from about 4pm onward (good too!) and to show support I stuck a supportive note where the bass player could read it - but I thought it would be nice if we had a recognition signal amongst ourselves - and no, NOT a hanky in a back pocket! So, you're at a gig and a band is playing - as you walk past the stage you want to show your support - but how? Any ideas?:bassist:

2. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Dance!

A smile and a 'thumbs-up' gesture usually conveys said support, but waiting 'till I finish and buying me a nice beer always knocks it home. ;)

3. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    It would be nice to have a gesture that says you're one of the club, not just any appreciative listener. I don't play out yet, but I think it would mean a little bit more to know it was a fellow bass player appreciating my chops.

4. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Just don't have so much presence & charisma that you get me fired from my gig!

5. Is this just going to be a recurring joke now? lol

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    This weekend we're playing in a small town that has two bars directly across the street with live music. Last night we ran across the street on a break, and caught the last half of the last tune before the other band went on break. We were pressed for time, so I ran over to the bass player, told him they sounded good, shook his hand and told him I was playing across the street. Then I hightailed it out of there to start my fourth set.

Guess who popped in to check us out before they had to go on for their fourth set?

I really like that particular bar for that particular reason.

The last time we were down there, the band at the other bar was one that my band has known and been friends with for years. When we popped in they were playing to a crowd of three people not counting the waitstaff. We said hello and such, but it was more than a little awkward.

7. I wear my baseball cap with the bass clef on it to such events...and/or one of my jackets with the bass clef and bass guitar embroidered on the back!

8. All bassist must tattoo a bass cleff on their foreheads, and tattoo a list of there gear on there arm(s) and when you sell something, you must put a line through like you would any other ex.

9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Brothers? The club? Secret code signs? :rolleyes: I appreciate a sincere compliment after a set, or an appreciative nod during a performance, and might even spend a few minutes chatting with another bassist after a show. But it takes more than a bass slung around a man's neck for me to consider him a brother.

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    It should be! ;)

11. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    A couple of months ago I was at a small free jazz concert and the bass player was really exceptional. So after their set was over I just walked up to him and started asking him about his bass. It was a 6 string MTD, that was beautiful. We talked for a few minutes like we were old friends. He told me how he was just getting back to the 6 string after playing a 5 string exclusively for a couple of years. Then he handed the bass to me and said check it out. A truly unique experience. Now I am lusting severely for a 6 string.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021