1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

We are meeting with the guy that ripped off our songs, and I am giving a reward

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by crow01, Sep 10, 2008.

1. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    Following the thread on "someone is ripping off our songs"...

I received an email from the french guy or at least that's what he pretends to be, and he says he is in the states just in time to go to our concert on saturday:

Chicago, The Elbo Room, 9 pm, we are "The Viaducts" (http://www.myspace.com/theviaducts)

So he says he wants to go and catch our concert and talk to us about his parodies.

What do you think I should do:
    a. Pretend I don't know him
    b. Practice my judo moves and kick his butt
    c. Buy him a beer and listen to him...and then kick his butt

As I side note, if I find out this guy is a fake and it's actually someone from the states or a friend/enemy of the band...

...I will give everybody that suggested he could be "someone we know" a reward (actually 2).

- Our first album for free "The Viaducts".
    - The new Metallica CD, courtesy of the place where I used to work where they owed me a bonus and free cds.

And I will be giving these after our concert on Saturday.

Let's see if this guy is for real!

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I must've missed the thread about someone ripping off your songs, but I'm just going to comment anyways since I live in Chicago too, and am amongst the many bands in "the scene".

It's probably one of your friends...but if it's not...

If he's stealing your music and he knows you might not be too happy about it, there's a good chance he won't show. You're gonna have your band and your fans there...I'd say he doesn't have the balls to show up.

In reality, just play your set and play it harder than you've ever played. Elbo Room has great sound (onstage & off). Rock your own music like you've never rocked it before. Play your own songs better than he thinks he can play them and that'll show him. And if it doesn't give him a swift kick in the nuts and smack him with the blunt side of your instrument.

Dave

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Copyright your songs as serious songwriters do and you can have lawyers meet with him.

If you're not willing to do the work to copyright your ideas then it's not worth your time to deal with people potentially stealing your ideas.

"The new Metallica CD, courtesy of the place where I used to work where they owed me a bonus and free cds."

So it's not ok for him to 'steal' your music, but it's ok for you to steal Metallica cd's from where you used to work????

4. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    What now? Well let me tell you what now. I'm gonna call a couple of pipe-hittin' brothers, who'll go to work on homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. Hear me talkin' hillbilly boy?! I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'm gonna git Medieval on your a**.

5. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Who's doin what now?
    [​IMG]

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    huh?

7. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    i didn't say stealing...although is not a bad idea to steal from metallica. like they wouldn't have money.

i am just stuck with 10 cds of the new metallica album, which they gave me as a way of payment.

take a chill pill dude.

so just in case our new fan, the french guy decides to show up, i will bring my bodyguard...who is just a friend that is 7 feet tall, long dark hair, metalhead looking. He looks pretty scary, but just found out his favorite movie is finding nemo.

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Dude.

Your delusions of grandeur top even my ginormous ego.

You have minimal exposure. The odds against this being anything but an inside job are astronomical. As much as the idea of an international conspiracy to steal your songs is intriguing it's so far fetched that I would really consider upping your thorazine dosage.

You've entered into the land of tinfoil hats.

Use Occham's razor to guide you towards the bandmate's friend most likely at the source of this.

Unless of course this was a clever way to get more hits on your myspace. If so, well played.:D

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    or get people to come to the show...at least 10 extra people (10 Metallica CD's) LOL