1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

We are picking up a free to us drum kit.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Big Hoss, Mar 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Okay long story short, my wife and I are building out our home studio. She has started in on guitar, and piano, and I am still in love with the bass, and guitar, although I have some keen interest in drumming / percussion as well...

The one thing missing from our home studio rig is a drum kit, and for a while anyway, we are going to be more or less broke due to aggressive payoff schedules. (Trying to clobber debt off). Okay not broke, but dropping $1.5K on a reasonable drum set is just out of the question.

So we decided to talk to my brother in law, he tends to be able to find screaming deals at pawn shops. So we asked him to keep an eye open for a drum kit for the studio.

Well anyway, he mentioned he bought a full on drum set, all the hardware, bass drum, 3 toms, 1 snare, cymbals etc... for my nephew to learn on. Nothing fancy, just a basic 1980s Peavey maple set. (!), My nephew has shunned traditional instruments like you wouldn't believe, opting instead for a more electronic based approach, and hasn't touched the drum set in something like 6 years.

Sooo, we asked how much, to which the reply was... "Just house it for me!"
    We've been down this road before. In this family, that means, "get it out of my hair, but make sure you take care of it."

So either this weekend or next, we head into Houston to pick up the set, bring it back home, and give it a good cleaning. It's been gathering dust and what not for the last few years.

Once cleaned and set up, I am sure I am going to tick off the neighbors (woo hoo!) even more so than the bass does now. Maybe when their dog wakes me up at 5:00 A.M. I can return the favor... (#$%&!).

TLDR: Nephew quit playing a 1980s Peavey Drum kit and decided to leave it in the custody if his aunt and uncle (us) almost completing our home studio.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Drum kit and piano are the two instruments I wish I had learned. There's still time, but no room for a full sized keyboard or kit in the house.

Get on Youtube and watch a lot of drum tuning videos. You can make any set of shells sound decent with well tuned heads. If you know any good drummers and you think their kits sound good, have them come by to help with tuning.

Also, don't be afraid to spend your savings on some decent cymbals! An instrument that sounds good is much more inspiring to play.

47th Street and knumbskull like this.
  3. Big Hoss

So true. FWIW, the cymbals are Zildjans. They should do the trick once polished back up. They are pretty tarnished.

Will post up a pic when I get them in...

4. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    It is going to be pretty awkward when it comes time to fire the drummer.

viper4000 and knumbskull like this.
  5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    congrats on the haul!

cymbal polishing has zero effect on tone so I would spare yourself the effort, if that's your goal - unless you just want them to look nice :)

Zildjans come in many budget ranges but if you post up a pic I can give you a quick dirty evaluation ;) ..the main thing is, if it sounds good, it is good!

also, read up on drum tuning – a nice kit can sound like a punch-up in a tin can factory if it's badly tuned. and likewise a cheap kit can sound great with a bit of coaxing. snare drums in particular need careful tuning – I like to have a 4th or 5th interval between the batter head and the resonant head, but there are loads of ways to do it...

EDIT beaten to it!

6. Big Hoss

Okay, the kit is in my music room! It desparately needs to be cleaned up. Will clean and polish if for no other reason than it looks pretty bad right now.

Found one issue I need to fix, the feet on the bass drum, one of the tips is missing. Pretty sure I can find a replacement.
    Second issue is the pedal for the bass drum. It's kind of awful, bad design, and tends to fold on itself as often as it does work. It can be fixed, the question is, should it? There are plenty of options on the cheap...

Once I get it set up, I am going to noodle around with it some. Shouldn't be a big deal to dust off the drum skills, just need to work on my timing... But I would MUCH rather somebody else be the drummer. Bass is my thing, has been and will continue to be...

7. TheEmptyCell

@Big Hoss - you could easily get a used pedal to replace the bad one. That, some new heads, and a few Moon Gels and you'll end up with a usable kit.

47th Street likes this.
  8. Big Hoss

Okay so I started with cleaning up and polishing the cymbals this morning before I head to head out to take care of some family business.

I am waiting until my backstage pass points become available and I'm going to use them for a DW double bass pedal. I have the Peavey unit fixed I found the problem. It is a simple roll pin that fell out I had to go to the hardware store and get them to size one up but it's fixed and isn't going anywhere.

My next step is going to be to replace the drum heads and tune it the shells are all cleaned up already and we just need to finish the last little bit of pieces up and then they can be played.

drummer5359 likes this.
  9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Heads and tuning can make a world of difference. Drums are my primary instrument, feel free to send me a message if you need any help.

TheEmptyCell likes this.
  10. Big Hoss

Right now I am trying to figure out the heads, and a missing rubber foot from the bass drum spur.

TheEmptyCell likes this.
  11. TheEmptyCell

Heads are like strings man, everyone's got a preference, and then you've got all kinds of accessories to make them sound different.

Save the old heads! You can cut them into donut rings that you can use as dampeners that don't need to be glued down.

12. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Post or send me an image of the the rubber foot. As for the heads, it all depends on what you are looking for. If this is a rehearsal space I might lean toward Remo Pinstripes for the toms, and an Aquarian Superkick II for the bass drum.