Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We come from a big world

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Hi people

I was just wondering what Bass language we use in all parts of the world - for example

I call it a fretboard = some call it a fingerboard
    I call it tuning pegs = some call it tuning gears, or even keys

More? please supply and we can argue and joke and maybe learn something about how different we are while being the same. :p

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Some call it a bass, some call it a big guitar with 4 strings.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pick guard - scratch plate

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If you'd make a direct translation from Finnish to English, you'd get terms like "gripboard", which refers to guitar finger positions, "blade" for headstock, "ribbon" for fret as they are made outta metal ribbon and "tongue" for string, as it makes the sound.

So if you want the tongue to sing in tune, take a proper grip on the board near the certain ribbon, but be careful not to hit the guitarist with a blade.. Yep, sounds logical to me :p

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    One thing that irks me a bit is when someone says they have a rosewood neck, when they mean a rosewood fingerboard.

6. Some call em strings, I call em strings.

But I do refer to the fretboard as a fretboard, and the tuning pegs/keys, I call both and sometimes tuning heads.

And I call pickguards in the way, but they look right on some basses.

7. ..that a fretboard is fretted(hence the name), A fingerboard is not. For instance, upright basses do not have fretboards, but fretless basses do have fingerboards, & a fretted bass would have a fret- (not finger-) board.

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    As long as you can make your meaning known, it's all good, right?

"Hey, I need to raise that little brass thingy that holds up the strings"!

Well, "which one"?

"The one on top, where those club-looking metal things are, you know, the ones where you adjust the tuning".

Okay, I get it. :D

(This conversation just happened, like three weeks ago). :)

9. lol

i hate the way my guitarist refers to bass stuff. when he wants me to slap etc he always asks me to "do that crackle and pop stuff" :eyebrow:

i also get annoyed at the "rosewood neck" thing, but oh well.

10. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    Bassist - Keeper of the Groove
    Bassist - Boogie Monster

11. I think that Crackle and Pop and one other fella(Snap?) were the characters on a kellog's cereal of some sort.

12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Rice Krispies, yes. I think we should invent a new technique called "crackle", it sounds interesting.

13. I dunno, could you imagine someone saying "hey, play that funky crackle line again" or "We're really looking for someone that crackles exclusivly".

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I used to have that crackle technique down pat-I'd just plug in my old Samick with its faulty output jack.

15. :D

How about picks/plectrums?

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've never actually heard anyone say plectrum before. I've read it many times, but never heard it spoken-everyone pretty much says pick nowadays.

17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, at first when I read the thread title I was thinking "picks". :)

Attached Files:

18. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Pick,Plec,Plectrum.
    Machin heads instead of tuning keys.Slap instead of thump.
    Loadsa things.Just shows how well us Bassist know our vocabularly

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I often hear slap called, "Ba dap boot dapt bow."

I always call Tuning Pegs Machine Heads because it sounds more Bad Ass/Deep Purplish.