We do not need Radios (rant)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I kept on picking up AM radio today at a gig. It was awful. You couldn't hear it through the mix, but the financial reports between songs bothered the crap out of me and everyone else. People don't go to see people perform to hear about how bad their stocks have plumeted, they go to forget that stuff.

Radios are so dumb. Humans are like, "hmm, I wonder why so many of us get cancer." Probably because your pelted by tons of radioactivity everyday because of these dumb radio stations. We get this radioactivity from radio towers, cell phones, microwave ovens, and just about anything that send and recieves a signal without wires and then some.

When was the last time you heard something good on the radio? I remember the last good thing I heard on the radio around here was Jerry was a Racecar Driver, that was 4 years ago. The rest of it is just crap!
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like KCRW/NPR. :meh:

that's about it though.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Interesting. I thought this was going to be a straight forward "screw mainstream radio monopolys."

Oh, I wouldn't worry about radio waves giving us cancer so much. If we didn't have radio waves, we'd find new ways of getting cancer. We've been self destructive since the begining of our exsistance. Instinctive population control? Perhaps. More likely I'm talking out of my *behind.

*Censored by the National Odie for a cleaner Off topic Committee.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    As for cancer, I think Matt is right, if it isn't radios, it'd be something else.

Now a days 2.4 ghz WiFi networks are all over the place, Cell Phones are everywhere...etc.
  5. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Time for a new beginning......oh wait,Bush is already aiming for that.....sometimes I regret being a Republican. -Luke
  6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
  7. Ditto...
    And i find it 100x better than television.
    One of the radio stations where i am that i listen too plays Baroque...which i dig.
  8. turn the amp off between songs...?
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    or better still, find what part of your rig isn't shielded properly and fix it. It's not radio's fault you haven't got your act together :rolleyes:
  10. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Pete, you're my hero.
  11. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    "You're listening to NPR, we employ thousands so hundreds can listen!"
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Seriously, I was gonna say he should move this thread to another forum and ask how to corectly eliminate the radio interference.

PS: NPR is the only thing I can really sit down and enjoy. Even the classic rock stations are getting weak.
  13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
  14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You mean you don't like hearing the same 30 songs played over and over? Geez man, what's wrong with you?! :rolleyes:
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats the thing.

There is enough by The Who, Zeppelin, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd alone to keep people entertained for hours and hours on end but instead they're starting to play the same 50 songs over and over and over.

16. Reminds me of the Spinal Tap video when they have the gig at the military base and you can hear radio traffic in the amps.

17. radio waves are not the same thing as radioactivity and they don't give you cancer, they're just sub-visible frequencies of light. a stray radio signal won't do damage to you as short-wavelength light (e.g. x-rays) might. as for microwaves, their wavelength is so large that they can't get through those little holes in the oven door, in case you've ever wondered why there wasn't just a clear window.

if you're still worried, feel free to keep your tinfoil hat on.
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

19. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I like radio.
    I commute 2 hours one way everyday and I listen to a lot of radio in the car. After playing CD's & being your own DJ for long enough, you get tired of it and just want to turn on the radio to let somebody else pick the songs for a while. I listen to a few different music stations, and also, I really like talk radio - Stern is okay, Lykis is a hack, Love Line with Adam Carolla and Dr. Drew is my favorite program ever, I like it better than any television program. Right now, I don't even have t.v. at home (no cable or satelite - can still watch DVD's, PS2 & such, but no TV) My wife works in radio, without radio she'd have no job. I like radio!
  20. Well there ya go ejucatin' peepul.;) Actually I was all set and ready to post something similar, drawing on 20+ yrs working in radiology and MRI, but you beat me to it. Ah well.

By the way, that bass you're rubbing up on your nads is an excellent source of radiowaves. May want to drop bass and take up cartooning or dog walking or something else safer.:D

Oh yeah, ground tour tinfoil hat. They work better that way.