We don't need no steenkin' wood!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Apr 14, 2004.

1. I saw this in a local online ad:

Anyone knows who made it?

Here's the link to the ad. It's all yours for $250!

Acrylic Bass for Sale
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    That's awesome.

If it was cheaper, I'd buy it just for the sake of having a clear bass. ;)
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Galveston or Johnson I think. Those are all over eBay.
  4. I wonder how they sound.
  5. It would have to be the electronics doing all the work, plexiglass won't make it a tone machine :p. Plus you can't play in the buff and get away with it.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unless you can fit behind a J-up. But then you wouldn't want to anyway... :D
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    eeek, that neck heel looks troublesome.

8. Charlie Jones used a plexiglass P bass built by Nightingale Guitars with Page & Plant, and still uses it with Goldfrapp.
    he said in a Bassist interview the plexiglass is so dense it gives a great tone.
  9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I wonder if they make PJ4 clear one...I wouldnt mind picking one up for 100 bucks or something and dropping in some pickups (that would cost more than the bass!) Could be fun just for the heck of it...though I doubt it would be something I would want to use really...
  10. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I would like to just find a nice acrylic body and add a Warmoth neck and some nice electronics.

The body looks pretty cool, but I don't care for the manufactures.
  11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    It would be AWESOME to smash one of those at a show...
  12. I say slap a nice top on it that's mostly opaque, but just translucent enough to see some light through it. Might want to put something on the back too. Then toss in a bunch of LEDs pointing in all directions. The top will glow, accentuating any figure it might have, and light will come out of the sides. It'd be cheesy and it might blind you, but acrylic basses are already kinf of cheesy, plus cheesy = good in my book.
  13. I picked up a plexiglass guitar in a store the other day. I think it was a B.C. Rich or something like that. It weighed a frickin' ton! I can't imagine how heavy a bass would be. It looked really cool though, which is what made me pick it up in the first place. :)
  14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Do they sell a figured top model? :D
  15. Same here, I played a BC Rich Acrylic Warlock at the local music store and it weighs at least twice as much as the normal one my friend has.
    They sure do look cool, but it's not worth the spinal damage.