We Don't Need No Stinkin' Bongos!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bovinehost, Feb 4, 2004.

1. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man

Well, okay, in spite of the thread title, I did keep my "stinkin' BoNgos", but I found myself without a four string fretted Stingray and THAT can't be right.

Schlepped around eBay a bit and came up with this. I think the strings were actually older than the bass and there was some serious grime to clean off the board (can you see it in the photo?)...not to mention the poor thing was tuned to "D" and the strings were about an inch too high....a strap came with it, and it was adjusted to hang around my ankles. I can only assume that it was owned by a young punker, but somehow survived this insult with a few minor surface scratches on the neckplate. Otherwise, no probs.

Some new strings (TI Flats) and a quick setup and a shower and she's in FINE shape and sounds as good as any Stingray I've ever had, and I've had, I don't know, eight hundred or something.

Oh yeah, after taking the photos, I replaced the black guard with a white moto guard. Very gaudy and slutty, which is how I like my basses. I do need to take some better photos, though.

So the BoNgos are a bit jealous, but still secure.
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, but what kind of box did it ship in? :hyper:

Good score, Jack. Not my favorite finish, but, you know, I didn't pay for it. :cool:

I bet the TIs sound great. Give 'em a chance, BoHo--I think you might like them. :D
  3. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I actually like that finish. It probably looks great with the white moto.

4. I love the finish, one of the most beatifull stingray's i have ever soon.
  5. Stingrays rock! :bassist:

btw about the Bongo's, I do like the look of them, I just can't stand the name ("what do you play?": "I play a Bongo????" :confused: )
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    2nd on that
  7. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Nice!!! My favorite color. I actually own the same bass... except mines still the prude, conservative type with the black pick-guard. :smug:
  8. Very nice score, Lord Bongo. :D

Burnt apple is a nice finish, but then again I like any finish in the red/brown family. Personally I think that 'Ray would look the best with a tortoise shell pickguard, but that's just my $.02

I played a nice SR5 in Sam Ash the other day: Trans teal w/rosewood board. I'm itching to buy a new 5 string; don't know if I can hold out for a Bongo. Hey, if I buy an SR5 soon that's just an excuse to get a Bongo later.

I may take the plunge this weekend.

What's up, Rayzak? Long time no talk.