Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

we got paid! w00t!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by john turner, Mar 13, 2003.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, we played last night at the star bar in atlanta - the sound was ok, i wasn't properly warmed up so i started getting cramps in my hands about halfway through and it was really messing with my playing - in fact we all were a bit off. probably the lamest of the past 4 gigs that we've had in the past 2 weeks.

still, though, fun night - dave siff, bassmonkeee and muggsy made it out to see us, as well as some of our non-talkbass friends :D and, as always, it was great to play out.

and then, surprise, surprise, at the end of the night, the guy who runs the place comes out and hands our manager an envelope with some cash in there. w00t! what a treat, we got paid for playing our music.

granted, it wasn't enough to put a down payment on a custom gold plated ferrari or hire our own mexican houseboy, but it was dough that we didn't have when we started. what a freakin' treat.

i love being a musician. :D

2. How much dough ? If it's enough we can start a Serene P-bass fund ;)

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, it's all going back into the band. yep, it's going to pay for one whole tire of our tourbus. :D :rolleyes:

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    [ignorantvoiceon]

Sorry to probably sound stupid, but do you guys not usually get paid in the bigger cities?

[ignorantvoiceoff]

5. ah, yes. when it's a pleasant surprise to get paid, you know you're in a college band or a prog band.

or both, god forbid.:eek:

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    lol, not a college band. shoot, i made a _butt_ load of money in college bands back in the day. i remember walking out of a club where my cut of a 2 dollar a head cover was over 140 dollars. 2 bucks a head. i don't know how they fit 300 people in that club - the place was relatively tiny.

ah, those were the days.

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not a relatively unknown original band like us.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Gotcha JT! My band decided instead of going the pay-to-play route like most original bands do, we reluctantly picked some covers to balance things out (and get paid).

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, we never pay to play, but it's somewhat unusual for a club owner to pay us without us being sorta hawkish about it.

don't get me wrong, with a certain size draw it's expected to be paid, and the owners know it, but we were just surprised. we had about 15 folks there, which was cool, but it was a wednesday night and we had played 3 other places in the previous week and a half. getting an envelope with dough in it was unexpected, to say the least.

11. DNE

DNE

Feb 27, 2003
    atlanta
    When/where are you playing next? I wanted to come to star bar but completely spaced it:(

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    we're playing at 9 lives in little 5 points thursday april 3. hope to see you then :)

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    welcome to talkbass, btw, dne. :)

14. DNE

DNE

Feb 27, 2003
    atlanta
    thanks. just picked up a bass for the first time in january. love it but wish i had more time to practice! this site has already helped tremendously

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...they gave you money to stop playing.

Admit it.

;)

(Y'all kicked @$$ at The Somber Reptile Saturday d00d :D)

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm in a college band and I take home at least $100 a gig. UVa is a big frat school so they can all afford to pay 4 or 5 hundred bucks (or a couple grand for out of town acts) for a band at their parties.

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, if I can't borrow $50, can I borrow $20?

18. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You want to hire me?? :confused:

:D