Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We have liftoff!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zebra, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I just unclamped the body halves. They seem to stick togeather, so I got started.
    I traced on the body shape. It's been adjusted, as expected. It lost a little width, and I changed the upper horn a little, but I like it better now. I was thinking about doing a totally different design, something more J-like, but I stuck to this. So I used a saw to start cutting to the contour. I also tried to use a hack-saw-like thing kinda like a jigsaw, but that didn't really work. I guess I'll use a drill to do the concave curves.
    As it stands now:
    4 string 35 scale
    basswood body
    Hopefully some amber-ish stain and epoxy/ some sort of hard finish, but we'll see how it looks all sanded down.
    1 piece quartersawn maple neck... also stained?
    ebony lined fretless fingerboard
    2 pickup configuration. Passive. I'd prefer soapbars, or at least something humbucking, but I'd like to keep it around $100.

Attached Files:

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    only $100 for pickups. MIO, those are the most important part and where most of your sound will come from. Don't get "cheap" on those. That is the part, from my experience, that you should be spending the most for. That is to say, get a good model of pickups. Nordstrand, bartolini, even Seymore Duncan. Look around. You'll fins something that sounds great and still isn't too expensive.

3. LOL, yeah that "sticking together" thing get's to be crucial sometimes. :D

Try the Dan Armstrong MM humbuckers at around $65 each.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    :confused: :confused:

6. Geez o damn Pete, a guy can't have even 1 senior moment around here before everyone jumps on him for a simple little slip... :D

It's KENT ARMSTRONG...Ok Pilot?? :rolleyes: ;)

http://www.wdmusic.com/musicman_reg_bass_pickup_29693_prd1.htm

Who was Dan Armstrong anyway? Was he an Olympic speed skater or an Olympic wrestler?

7. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Doesn't Dan Armstrong has something to do with those Ampeg Plexiglass basses?

8. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Yep. Dan Armstrong is also Kent Armstrong's father.

9. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I'll look into those Dan Armstrongs. Do those MM's have a stingray MMish aire to them? Such as the bright poppy highs? If that's the case, I'd kinda like to do something different as I already have a bass that does that sorta sound. So far it looks as though the SD passive soapbars are a good bet, but we'll see what funds are like when we get there, and I may just jump for some barts.
    About that... do all barts have a wait period, or is it just custom ordered ones? Or are all barts custom ordered?
    Did more cutting today. I almost finished the cutting for the upper curvature of the body, but then I had to eat, and it's getting a little damp out now. I got a handsaw that can do the concave curves. I also have a powerdrill set up with a boar head that I'm trying to use to do some concave curves.
    I also sanded and rounded off the bottom pretty nicely and started the elbow contour.
    The body halves are still sticking togeather.

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    KENT Armstrong pickups are very nice. He offers, of course, copies of all major variants, including P, J, and soapbar HB's.
    And, being copies, they are pretty close to the original's output - with a little personal twich.

11. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Here's a thought, how about a kent MM-style humbucker (bridge) and a soapbar (neck)? I know some basses use this, Status comes to mind. How would this differ soundwise from just two plain ol' soapbars?
    Also have made some more progress. I'll get more pics later.

12. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Some more progress pics. Started doing some of the contouring. I'm gonna make it deeper, then start to round off some of the edges. Still doing all of this with a saw, knife and sandpaper. Seems to be working fine for now, so I'll stick with it for now. I still need to sand down the seam in the middle. If I can't make it disappear, is there a good filler I could use to look good on a stain?

Attached Files:

13. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    another

Attached Files:

14. What knid of glue did you use?
    Sorry for asking I didn't see it anywhere.

15. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Just basic elmers wood glue.

16. Thanks I was just wondering, I will probably be glueing up, my first bodyblank in a month or so. I think I'm going with titebond

17. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    Titebond Original is as good as I have heard on all accounts. Did my first glue up with it late last week and some more early with week and its worked a charm, just make sure you clamp it well.

Good luck with your projects Tribalistic and Zebra

Zetora