Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We have the cd recorded, NOW WHAT?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassplayingfool, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Hello, im in a band that just recorded a cd and we do not know what to do now. We dont have a manager, or anything like that. But we do have some questions. If you can answer any of these please let me know.

When we sell our cd at our shows how can we get them to count on Soundscan. Obviously we need to scan them somehow, but how and where do we do that?

How do we get our cd's in stores like Sam Goody or other big chain retailers?

What are the best kind of labels for a rock band to look at, one of the big 5, a medium size one, or a just get anything we can get?

Is it possible for a unsigned band to get our songs on commercial radio stations by ourselves? Once again how would we do this?

Ill probably be back with more questions but thank you very much for your time and if you wanna take a listen to my band you can do so at www.allisonditch.com.

Thanks, The Chip

2. Um, I'm pretty sure if you are not with a label, getting your CD into chain stores is out of the question. You might try local music stores in your area...sometimes they'll have a local music section and you can strike a deal with the owner.

As far as airplay on the radio...most stations have highly rigid playlists, and will not think about playing a song from an unknown local band. Sometimes some stations will have a local music show, though, and you might send your disc to the DJ. Usually the most likely candidates would be "left of the dial" stations...college radio, or community oriented stations. You can send your CD to the program/music director and if they like it, there would be a good chance they'll play it.

Hope this info helps...if you are that serious about getting signed to a label, you will probably need a manager or some kind of agent, and start sending your disc to as many companies as possible.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Check the thread at the top of this post if you want air play in Daytona Beach, FL! Also, if/when you decide to head down this way, get in touch with me, I'll see if I can land you guys a few gigs and whatnot.
    One thing you can do is just send your CD out to all the stations in your area, sometimes ya score, sometimes ya lose.
    As for a label, at this point, I'd say take what you can get, or look for an independant label that'll pick you guys up (with as many that are poping up in the past years, surely one would).
    Just my $0.02

Ray

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    *IF* a deal with a major label is what you want to accomplish, get a professional manager/agent - one with connections in the industry, that already knows producers and A&R people (Not a local schmoe booking agent). You don't stand a chance of having a major label giving you a deal by sending in unsolicited material. Its the kiss of death.

I suggest that before you spend too much time thinking a deal with a major label is "making it", that you read this nice informative piece onthe pitfalls of major label deals:

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    100% scary!!!!

ANDRUCA

6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    The band I was in a few years back had a management firm, lawyer, and distribution deal. They got us in all Blockbuster Records across the US and we also sold a lot of CDs in Japan. You have to get a bar code to register sales. Have you had it mastered?

7. yeah we are getting it mastered and then getting 1000 cd's made

8. you may also want to check out the book referenced in this article: http://www.failuremag.com/arts_content.html"So You Wanna Be A Rock & Roll Star" by Jacob Slichter of Semisonic.

It's an easy read, 1-2 days and will open your eyes about some of the realities of recording and radio industries. It's very discouraging, but it lets you know what you're up against. Because, without a miracle, you're a very long way from having your Cd's on the radio or in Sam Goody's. I don't intend to be mean, just realistic.

The good news? IMO, the situation is ripe for some sort of revolution - of the way the recording industry works. The internet has changed the way music can be distributed. Now it's up to someone to figure out a more effective way to market the music. Maybe that could be you?

9. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    What do you do now? Tour the US of course. Build a fan base in every city and then tour it again. This is all while sending your info to labels as well.

Besides a band that can sell, labels want:
    1 - good recording
    2 - tour experience

10. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Not an experienced veteran by any means here. But I'm good at math.

Think seriously about DIY. In contrast to the Steve Albini article, if you just take those 1000 CDs and sell them yourself at $10/each you'll have made a profit of $5k or so, I'd guess, after recording expenses, mastering, etc. If you can sell 10,000 CDs then you'll start to get near actually earning a living. Add lots of T-shirts.

I agree about the industry being on the brink of some kind of revolution. Think about the situation 20 years ago, when it wasn't even conceivable for a singer-songwriter to self-produce a record. A highly produced sound (like Queen, for example) was simply unattainable without $100,000+ budgets.

Now, with $5k worth of equipment and lots and lots of practice, you can make a CD that sounds maybe 90% as good as one coming out of a major studio. AND you can get 1000 copies of it made for ~$1-2 each. This changes everything. Not to mention the internet/mp3 scene.

There are probably several hundred musicians touring the country, making ends meet, with no label support. The tough part is getting to that next level. Seems that you'd want to be fairly "seasoned" before you got there, though.

I go through alternating waves of depression and excitement thinking about this stuff.

11. www.cdbaby.com

and you already have a small advertising channel, its called TalkBass. ;)