Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We jam econo-The story of the Minutemen

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by seansbrew, Jul 16, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    :hyper: Has anyone seen this movie. In the latest issue of BP it says this movie is currently in some theaters. :hyper:

2. stanner

stanner

Mar 31, 2005
    esseff,cali
    its playin this month here in sanfran...
    i cant wait
    i hear its great and features an interview w/ J Mascis-my guitar hero... :)
    s :cool:

3. Alex Wing

Alex Wing

Apr 1, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Where and when? Sounds mighty excitin'.

edit: N/m
    "San Francisco, CA
    July 22 - 28, 2005
    Yerba Buena Center For The Arts"

4. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    A co-worker just told me about the Minutemen movie playing tonight and tomorrow. He said it was great.

So of course first thing i check is the Mike Watt section of TB!

5. stanner

stanner

Mar 31, 2005
    esseff,cali
    well...saw the movie lastnite here in sanfran w/ a full house and what can i say...it was beautiful...a lot of laffs, all the great Minutemen footage, Watt rememberances and 'specially D Boon-what a great guy he was and it was hard to go thru when he died...i was surprised there was so much footage of the live band-really great to see-cant wait for the DVD...
    s :cool:
    (loved the humor that was present thru out :hyper:

6. I was driving around Boston last week, and saw We Jam Econo on a theater marquee. I figured that had to be a minutemen movie, but I hadn't heard of one. And sure enough it is, and when I get home to SF, it's playing here for a week, at this little 100 person art center. It was just there for a week, and after missing a few chances, I had to go tonight. It was a very good movie. I don't know the full story, so I can't say what was left out, or whatever. But what there was was very moving. It really made me want to clear whatever blockage I have and express myself more fully through music.

7. oh yeah, i forgot to mention that the girl behind me in the ticket line was telling her friend how she only recently started to appreciate the minutemen because she couldn't get past the "slap bass" for so long. :eyebrow:

8. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I really want to see this flick. Unfortunately I am still reeling from my bout with spinal meningitis. Hopefully it will still be playing when I feel good enough to go see it. Or maybe it will come out on video. :)

9. vanceg

vanceg

Jul 7, 2005
    seattle
    I saw the film in Seattle. Liked it pretty well. As a hardcore Minutemen fan and someone who is interested in current perceptions of the early 80's hardcore/punk movement, I found it interesting.

I am concerned that many people who didn't live through that era are going to get a skewed picture of what was going on and what folks motivations were.

But I did find Mike's commens very enlightening - And I always feel strengthened when I hear folks speak of the punk rock in such an inclusive way.

And Mike: Some of us DID get the refrence in Double Nickels on the Dime - I recall very clearly talking with the drummer in my band at that time and him saying "**** that pop music 'I can't drive 55 ****', I'm heading out on my road trip and I'll be going double nickles on the time the whole way".

Vance

10. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    There are still alot of people that don't acknowledge the impact that hardcore punk had on todays music. It was definetly period music, I mean, look at what was going on during those times. Post Vietnam, Reaganism,Disco( ick). We didn't want to deal with that Crap. Punk Rock was do it yourself, it was about awareness ( not all of it) It was about thinking for yourself. I am glad that I "Got it" That I was a part of it ( at least the tale end of it). The bars on the back of my neck stand for all of this. ;)

11. For any Austinites out there, it's playing tonight at the Drafthouse.

12. bravecaptain

bravecaptain

Jul 23, 2005
    I can't believe the movie is playing so much in cities out west. There were literally 2 screenings of the film here in New York. Through a confused series of events, I did not get to see it because it was sold out by the time I was informed a friend in fact did NOT buy tickets. Is there any plan for it to come out on DVD?

"Rock over London, rock on Chicago"? I love Wesley Willis!

13. Alex Wing

Alex Wing

Apr 1, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, it's apparently coming out on DVD along with the full recordings of the shows that it includes clips of.

14. scientist_rock

scientist_rock

Mar 15, 2004
    UK
    I tried to get this film screened locally but the cinema never got back to me. It's more likely to be shown in smaller art spaces. I'm holding out for the DVD personally, as I hear it comes with extra footage. Is there any websites with information about the DVD release? I couldn't find anything.
    Also, will they ever make a Meat Puppets film? It's pretty unlikely but then I'd have said that about 'We Jam Econo' a few months back! Mike - have you heard anything/can you suggest anything? Drop a few hints to Rocket Fuel films!
    By the way I recently discovered that Cris Kirkwood is out of jail after all that shooting crap he got himself involved with, which is great news.
    Come on, the MP's story is crying out for a movie right?! Daniel Johnston got a film too. And people are still ranting on about Nirvana and making films about 'that guy'. I'm sure were he still alive he'd rather thay made a film about the Meat Puppets than another damn story about his own amazingly over-rated group. Hell, they could make a film just about 'up on the sun'!
    Having said that, the creation of 'We Jam Econo' was way more than I could have ever hoped for so I'll just shut it.

15. Salizander

Salizander

Oct 28, 2004
    try here at the site run by the dudes who put out the film (click on "latest" link):

http://www.theminutemen.com/latest.html

seems they basically say work on the dvd is still coming along as of their last posting 7/26/05.