1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

We need budget Barkers!!

Discussion in 'Barker Bass Forum' started by ElBajista, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I really hope that the demand for Barker basses increases to the point that Mr. Barker would have to outsource parts such as, for example, Lakland, in order to have high-quality products at lower prices. A "Skyline" version of Barker Basses would be incredible!!

A setup such as Lakland's where the parts are already assembled, but undergo an extensive check-up and inspection before shipment to stores/customers would keep up the high-quality and good name of these basses.

I wish I could get one of these, as I know it would help with not only wrist tension but the shoulder pain I get from having a bass strapped on. I just need some far-off millionaire relative to kick the bucket and leave me some money!

Man, I'd love one of these beautiful basses. I can't wait to try one!

2. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    how much does a barker run???

3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I thought atlantabassgallery.com had prices listed but I don't see those now. I thought the 4 string starts at around $3500 but I could be wrong. The only price I see listed on the website is $5000 for the Limited Edition Basses.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Ouch.

Heads up to the Barker guys - I'd get one if I could afford it, probably at like 400-500 max. Don't mean to lowball, but I don't have much money, and would love to have one of these, as I play DB in school and don't really get to practice that stuff at home...and it just seems cool to me :D

5. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I think there's a mention of a budget line (or more of a budget at least) in one of Lee's posts. No details, just that they're working on it. I doubt that it would be that low though. Quality pickups and tuners would sink most of that price range.

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Never ventured over here to the Barker forum, but I did just now, and saw this thread.

I'd definitely be interested in a Barker, maybe in the 600-1000 range. No way I could afford 3-5 grand, but I'd definitely be willing to check it out at around $800.

Anyway...carry on...

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Well, I for one think there is no need for change.

I rather like the idea of one man conceiving, and hand crafting these fine instruments. Lee needs to pay rent (in America) and keep the lights on (in America) in order to produce these truly amazing instruments (in America). I'm confident that Lee could send the design specs to China, and have them built out of bamboo, rather than hand crafting them one at a time out of the best quality materials available.

I'm not sure that Lee would be willing to stick his name on such an abomination though.

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Mr .Barker isn't shipping anything overseas, but he has started a "B2" line of Barkers, here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247931

9. JimmyTheSaint

JimmyTheSaint

Mar 15, 2005
    California
    I may digress, but FYI Chapman is willing to stick his name on bamboo:

http://www.stick.com/instruments/bamboo/