"We need melodies"

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Aug 21, 2005.

1. The guitar player in the band is on his soap box again with the "We need more melodies to our music."

He says it is the bass player's responsibility to come up with melodies...I just kept quiet.

Is a bass player's responsibility in a 4 piece band (bass, guitar, keys, drums) to create the melodies?

I listen to the music and it sounds like I am the one who is melodic, but I Am no expert. I Am not even sure how to exactly make a melody.

Anyone care to figure this out? Is this guy right or just full of himself?
  2. From the sound of it, it sounds like he's decided he doesn't want the responsibility for writing his own parts.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I thought it was everyone's responsibility.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Its the responsibility of whoever is writing the songs to write them however he or she wants. If your guitar player doesn't like what he's playing tell him to write better material.
  5. Sounds like the guy is an idiot. How is just the bass player responsible? Last I checked the bass guitar is primarily a rhythm instrument. Sure, it can be melodic, but melodies from a guitar or keyboard are generally going to be a lot more noticable, I would think.
  6. You tell me. I thought my role was to keep the rhythm going, on time, listening to the drummer for whatever makes me want to do something different.

I am starting to think my guitar player wants it as easy as possible for him; to hell with what real talent may come out from actually learning something I create.

I got booted by these guys--we are actualy friends of 3 years---because I started to speak up: They complained about the gigs I got (times and days) after the effect; they complained that I put their music on the Web without getting an official copyright (OH MY GOD!); they got mad at me for inviting a rhythm guitar player to jam after I thought we should include him in the band; said my attitude became "unpleasant"; etc

Damn right. I started to speak up, man. I thought we had something going (we were creating new songs on a daily basis) and I started to believe in the band when people reacted positively to it. SO I put stuff on the Web (site www.soundclick.com/thousandbucks is actually copyrighted) and I started trying to get gigs. I got us most open mics and regular gigs. They obviously couldn't committ and the pressure got to them. Meanwhile, I'd complain about why we stopped playing open mics (they wanted to get paid only) and I bitched about the condesending character of the guitar player.

Then I got booted. Determined, I pushed on and jammed with one guy who most likely thought I wouldn't work;jammed with a group of people who wanted me to return but I didn't "feel" it; and a band I actually jammed out with 1 before I left after, again, the guitar player had some chip on his shoulder far too heavy for me to lift.

Then, somehow, I reformed with these guys--a drummer and guitar player attatched to the hip. I brought in a talented keyboard player from my other band.

HAd to vent. I am about to take the keyboard player hunting for a jam guitarist and time-oriented drummer ( I say the obvious because my current drummer thinks it is ok to add fills and lose time) in the Northern Virginia region.

Open auditions right now. I have a few songs ready and the keyboardist has about 4 songs.

We'd be halfway there to an open mic.
  7. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Well, to me, organising gigs without their consent is not a great thing to do to your band, neither is putting their work where it can be snatched without taking precautions, and neither is inviting another guy to jam without them knowing.

See where i'm going with this?
  8. melody........i think what he might mean is that in the music some riffs are too thrashy whereas there could be some twist on them to make it seem more "musical"

9. Landros, I agree if any of that was true in my case. Not sure where you got that from but I never organized a gig without their consent (I'd get their consent and then they'd want ME to cancel the gig because they wanted to go do something else); IT WAS MY WORK TOO that I put on a site and it is COPYrighted; I never invited a guy to jam without their consent.

Dude, I see where you were going but it was out in the middle of nowhere in my case.
  10. Tingly

Jul 16, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    Anyone can be a composer, but USUALLY it's lead guitar and keys that are expected to come up with the riffs, hooks and basic tune. That's why they call it "lead" guitar! LOL!
  11. kreplock

Aug 6, 2005
    sounds like the band had a bad case of Deadbeat Guitarist . forge on without 'em.
  12. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I like writing guitar, bass, drum, key parts. I do this for my band alot. Give it a shot you might like it better than the parts he writes.