Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We need more portable 3 way cabs on the market.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emjazz, Apr 12, 2003.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love 112 cabs for the portability and the sound. The problem is that they just don't have the frequency range that they could. Before someone replys, I know that Accugroove does just this. The problem is that I don't want to drop $1600 for a pair of speakers. I know that there are older Euphonic Audio cabs floating around still and these are three ways. I didn't like them. Anyone else think that the market should have more 3 way cabs, especially ones that are easily portable?

I love the sound of Bergantino cabs. I've emailed Jim Bergantino about making a 3 way 112 cab. Please, if you are interested in this idea than let Jim know. Speaker builders can only know what people want if we tell them. www.bergantino.com

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Instead of two Tri 110/112's (which you are right, would set you back a pretty penny), check out the Whappo Jr. or Mini Whappo. They technically 4-way, I think, and the Mini Whappo is quite portable. I just auditioned one last night, and it is a phenomenal cab. It is rated at 4 ohms, and it was just as loud as the Epifani T-112/T-110UL combo that I ended up getting instead (for even greater portability).

I probably would have picked the Mini Whappo over two 1x12's for portability, but that T-110UL (UltraLite version) is riduculously small and light for the sound it cranks out, so it was the deciding factor.

I do agree with you, though. Three-way (or four-way) cabs have a lot to offer, and it would be nice to see more on the market. You may be able to get a custom builder to make one for you. The store I bought my Epi's from (www.lowdownsound.com) makes their own cabs, and their 1x12's (they make a coax model and one with a separate tweeter) are really nice. Their 1x15 was incredibly punchy, but a bit larger than I was looking for.

Later, Tom.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My situation is that I am forced to use smaller cabs because of a back injury or else I'd just get one 212 cab. I love 12's and two 112 cabs cover just about anything and sound incredible doing it. I just am looking for a more complete sound, specifically from Bergantino.