1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

We now know the answer - best bass for metal - P Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by filler83, Oct 10, 2019.

1. filler83

filler83 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I know this topic has been beaten to death, but wanted to share the making of Slayer's recent album repentless:

at 22:37, Tom Araya talks about using Lemmy's Marshall amps and a ESP P-bass for the sound - he says they tried different basses and the p-bass sounded the best.

25:20 - pic of Tom playing a P-bass

upload_2019-10-10_10-19-18.

2. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Hard to go wrong with a p bass for sure

osv, alanolynn, andruca and 6 others like this.
  3. DrStein

DrStein

Nov 8, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    The best between P and J surely but no one should care any more with the gazzilion of options out there. My gibson eb and my EMG 35 Mayones, for example, are just as good (if not better).

Loring, dxb, DJ Bebop and 1 other person like this.
  4. UntitledUser

UntitledUser

Sep 18, 2019
    Tom Araya's opinion is not universally valid.
    Robert Trujillo has a very different bass for example. Jason Newstead used only Jazz and PJ and HH, styled basses. Myung has a bongo HH.

Infinite list of any kind, but for what I see usually with 2 pickups, not 1.
    The bridge pickup has the grit to cut in the [metal] mix.

Also...usually Tom Araya in my opinion is not a good example of "tone".

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    gebass6, dxb, Rilence and 8 others like this.
  5. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Shameless self-promotion here, but here's a P-bass with D'Addario flats (played fingerstyle) in a black metal setting:

6. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Geezer and Steve Harris are two iconic metal bassists and both use P-basses.

Not saying a P-bass is the only way to go, many other instruments sound great (Rickenbackers and J-basses come to mind), but it definitely works.

7. UntitledUser

UntitledUser

Sep 18, 2019
    Their guitarists have a tone that allows this more than Slayer imho.
    Maidens are all classic Mids/Marshall amps, and Black Sabbath are more "rock" than metal.

Atshen likes this.
  8. A Rickenbacker or Thunderbird and most certainly a Spector would be sublime.

PillO, Chucky Stiletti and gidbass like this.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

What kind of metal? Melodic death core? Viking screamo? Blackened sludge? Funeral doom? Grindcore? Neoclassical Nu Metal?

C'mon, be specific.

10. Wow, and stupid me thought Metal was metal. . .

pjbassist, DJ Bebop, KB5 and 7 others like this.
  11. UntitledUser

UntitledUser

Sep 18, 2019
    well honestly Rage Against The Machine has a different sound from Korn, different to Death, different to Metallica 1983 that is different to Metallica Load&Reload...

Metal is not a single sound.

12. filler83

filler83 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    Good comments. I agree many types of basses for the many ranges of metal. I just thought it was interesting that Slayer used a P bass for this recording. I usually associate them with an active ESP/LTD bass.

Agree that you can't really hear him that well compared to other metal bassists.

Mostly just wanted to share this as something interesting (IMO).

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Ahem. Before I say get off my lawn, i feel it is my duty to inform you that Black Sabbath (along with Deep Purple and maybe a couple other bands) are the bands people referred to when the term "Heavy Metal" was first coined. If you kids want to define "metal" as something different in your clubhouse, go ahead, but saying Black Sabbath isn't metal is, to those of us who were there when people started using the term, a display of youthful ignorance.

As you were - go play with your friends. And get off my lawn.

14. UntitledUser

UntitledUser

Sep 18, 2019
    Ok.
    However there are some pop/rock band that today have a more aggressive sound then in those old days.
    Happy now?

FugaziBomb likes this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Sure, some bands have taken aggression to an incrementally higher level, but if you listen to Early Black Sabbath or Deep Purple in the context of what else was on the radio at that time, you'll see they were the ones that did the heavy lifting in terms of initially adding aggression to rock music.

Greta van Fleet is a cool band - I think they're a good bunch of kids. If you're one of their fans, and you have never heard Led Zeppelin, you'd think they were pioneers. Knowing the history, you can see they're a bunch of kids with good musical talent....that got popular before they found their own songwriting niche. Hopefully, in time they'll get there.

Loring, DJ Bebop, FRoss6788 and 3 others like this.
  16. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    sonic blue / maple block inlay for maximum SLAY

17. IME a P Bass gets lost against a Les Paul/Marshall guitar rig, esp live. IME a big humbucker cuts thru better.

Count Bassie and Bigbri like this.
  18. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Ignorant youth here (well, kind of...) and I agree with you.

19. DrStein

DrStein

Nov 8, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    Most of the NWOBHM bands sound like pop/rock by todays standards but they are a million times more metal than RATM, for example (since they were already mentioned). Of course not everyone will agree but I think it's a legit argument, especially among most of the old school guys (which I am not that much, but I am certainly NOT into the Korn/Sklipnot type of «metal»).

Loring and hardtop like this.
  20. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I'm a P bass man but the other metal bass as proven by the long line of influential metal albums is Spector .

deernaes, FRoss6788, hbabels and 4 others like this.