Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We opend for Monte Montgomery last night!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WickdMOnkey, Nov 4, 2004.

1. WickdMOnkey

WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Illinois
    We had a very cool and exciting week this week. We were sitting around the other day and we get a phone call from Blueberry hill in St. Louis and they asked us to open for Monte Montgomery. For those of you don't know Monte is one of the greatest guitarist ever. He is finally getting some of the respect he deserves. For those of you who have seen him you know what I am talking about. Anyway, it was a pleasure to open for him and get to hang out with them before and after the show. I always enjoy chatting with Dave Piggot, the bassist. He and the rest of the guys are great guys and fantastic musicians. If you ever get the chance check them out, you won't be dissapointed. The funny thing about the whole show is that we already had tickets to go to it and said "I hope no one is opening for Monte because they will just get blown away." Then we got the call.

The gig itself went very well for us. I think we won over a lot of fans. We had many people come up to us and telling how great we were an we also sold a bunch of cds which was great.

Anyway I just thought I would tell you my news for the week.

The Wicked MOnkey

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nice! Kudos for getting the gig!

So David's still on bass? Monte seems to go through bass players, so good for him! I've never met David but I've known his brother (also an excellent and accomplished musician) for years.

When Monte is "on" it's one of the most singularly incredible things you'll ever experience. Monte is not always consistently on fire, but when he is, he shines as brightly as any Texas guitar star, past or present. His talents as a guitarist, vocalist and songwriter can seem to push in separate directions, but when he gets into his "zone" he fills the room with a magical guitar sound that I've never heard successfully captured on tape. Unfortunately, this means that his albums can't communicate what Monte is all about, IMHO. You gotta see this guy live.

...and maybe catch a wicked monkey opening up. ;) :D

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I keep hearing this guys name, and often from people whose opinions on music I can trust. I have to see him live some time.