1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

We say No to “Pay to Play”

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Helix, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    FWIW, I have never been apart of a band that has had to sell tickets to play, and from the response of the other members of my current band to this invite was “Nope” (from our drummer) and “Lame” (from our guitarist)

Please see below for the invite……venue and promoter XXXX’d out

Hey Last Option!

Special Note: This is an Orange County event, as we have had acts asking us for events outside of San Diego :)

I’m excited to announce that XXXXX Groove will be hosting our Annual Hard Rock/ Metal “Ugly Sweater/ Santa Hat Bash” with XXXXXX Concert Venue in Santa Ana! (21 & Over Event)

This is a DUAL-STAGE event, where we are going to have nothing but hard rock, punk and metal on two opposing stages all night. Once one band is done, the band on the opposite stage will fire up and rock out! We’ll have small increments between sets, but the idea is to keep the crowd hyped and entertained. We’ll even have Punk Rock/ Santa Helper dancers keeping the crowd hyped throughout the night. We’re also encouraging people to bring toys for Toys for Tots in light of this event!

If you haven’t seen our work yet, I’d highly encourage you to check us out at www.instagram.comxxxxxx and www.facebook.com/xxxxxx. We throw great shows and there are hundreds of pictures from our events online :)

I’d love to see if you’d like to perform! If interested, you’d have a full 30 minute set, and there are increments between sets to allow acts to take down and set up. We’ll be providing everyone with professional photography of their performances and photo ops with all their fans in attendance. We’re planning on making this a big night, so we want to capture it all on camera. As always, we’ll have our production team on site to help keep us on schedule/ help bands with loading on and off stage as well!

There will be a small presale on the event, as we do ask that each act sells 35 tickets at $12, and we do give each act 65 extra tickets they can keep 100% of the profits of (heads up, if 35 is a bit high, we do give the opening spot away for 30 tickets). XXXXX will also be promoting the event in coordination with XXXXX Santa Ana, as we’ll be giving out promotional tickets in the weeks leading up to the event! We can also get an article about your band on our website if you send us your bio!

Heads Up: If the artist is coming from outside of the LA/ OC area, we do ask for the artist to settle half of their presale up front to confirm.

We’re looking to make this event as big as possible. Let me know if you’re interested!

Best regards,

Josh XXXX

XXXXXXX International
    Jr. Talent Coordinator
    josh@XXXXXXXX.com
    Office Number: (323) 418-XXXXXX

Here’s our feeling

We’ve spent decades developing our skill’s, we’ve invested 10’s of thousands of dollars on our equipment. We’ve spent countless hours and money for rehearsals and now you want us to be your “Cash Cow” for the evening and all you have to do is open the doors, turn on the lights, serve the alcohol and collect the money?

It’s simple for us, we’ll provide the entertainment and you market the event for attendees…..we are not salesmen……we’ll certainly post the event on our respected web page’s to hopefully bring in some of our followers, but don’t expect us to do everything

2. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    OK, so we sell tickets before the show, and...we play at our designated time - got it. Do we man the beer tent after we're done playing?

3. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    I don't think my sister is doing anything that night....maybe she can come along and do the valet parking for all the people we sold tickets to

4. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    We've seen this kind of thing as well. And in a populated area they may find
    some bands willing to bite that hook. But it's not only sad because of the
    money, and the predatory lender vibe of Josh, the "Jr. Talent Coordinator"
    at SettleYourPreSaleUpFront International... it's sad because he's
    making music into a commodity in a particularly crass and greedy way.
    I know, that's nothing new... but as your guitarist said, it's lame...

KarateChris, GregC, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I hope this is an official affiliation with Marine Toys for Tots

Over the years, I have played several gigs in support of Toys for Tots for free, and I would find it irritating if they’re just using the name to promote their pay-to-play event.

6. It would be a tough choice if the Whisky was the venue. Apparently they've been pay-to-play for a long, long time now.

7. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    Nope.

Helix and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. landrybass

landrybass

Oct 23, 2011
    Some places have bands to entertain customers, some places have bands as a source of customers. Which one do you think has a better business?

Thad be a nope from me.

oh gee thanks we CAN open if we only sell tickets 5 short of everybody else.

they hire people to dance to keep people dancing? So weird.

they may as well have both stages playing bands at the same time and flood the place with noise.

9. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Hellz to the Noz

DrMole, Spidey2112, GregC and 2 others like this.
  10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Offer to sell them 50 six-packs of beer at $20 per. After they resell those, they can sell their own beer and keep the profit.

11. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    I live in OC and that is typical, it is a dishonest predatory practice which I always have and always will refuse to be part of. As long as anyone is willing to fall for this exploitation these so-called promoters will continue. If I could sell that many tickets I'd book a venue direct. Otherwise I'd sooner play in the backyard for my friends!

12. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    No and hell no!

unless ....

everyone else is providing services for free.

The hall, the food,booze, etc etc etc ...

I'm guessing not.

Artman and Spidey2112 like this.
  13. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Bands I've known who fell for this were usually young people, hopeful and starry-eyed, convinced by a cool older guy that this was business as usual and a sure path to popularity. Noone told them there is no guarantee anyone would watch them, or any industry people of even the lowest caliber or significant would be there.

Helix, LBS-bass, DrMole and 3 others like this.
  14. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    30 minute sets. If they made it 15 minutes sets they could have twice as many bands selling tix and make twice as much.:vomit::banghead:

15. TylerJ

TylerJ Trying to find the elusive Brown Note Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Virginia
    Yeah, the Whiskey was pay-to-play when I was much younger.

I wonder if this place is at the Galaxy, or whatever it is called now?

dkelley and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. Logo_Black_400x400.jpg

dkelley, DJ Bebop, Wisebass and 3 others like this.
  17. Well... There's always the ones willing to do it. So be it.

How badly do you want to play that venue?
    "It would be the highlight of my year!!!" Then, do it! Sell the tix, play at the XXXXXX Concert Venue in Santa Ana!
    "I can take it or leave it" Probably leave it!
    "Not a chance in Hell!" You already have the answer!

The only reason "Pay-to-Play" is still around is because some people are willing to "Pay-to-Play".

18. TylerJ

TylerJ Trying to find the elusive Brown Note Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Virginia
    Reminds me of being 18-21. The Whiskey, the Roxy, the Troubadour, those were the days.

19. I went back a few years ago, hadn't been to Hollyweird in 20 years.
    It was the Whisky's 50th anniversary week, legends were playing all week long!

pellomoco14, DJ Bebop and TylerJ like this.