Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We sucked but the crowd loved us...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stinsok, May 29, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    As far as playing, we were "not on" last night. We absolutely butchered a couple of requests we had no business attempting. After both of those requests we got huge applause and whistles. I was scratching my head--maybe we got an "A" for effort. Maybe the crowd didn't notice we screwed it up badly?

2. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I did not take into consideration the place serves alcohol and is also a micro brewery.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You probably pulled it off with a straight face.

Short of a major problem like the PA going down or feedback, most crowds do not notice much. They do however quickly notice frustration or anger expressed openly by a performer. Sometimes a little "acting" is needed to keep the audience unaware that you are having trouble. Regardless of it being a technical problem or a musical one..... the good ol' poker-face comes in handy sometimes.....

4. Sounds like a good name for an album :D

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That was last night in Pittsburgh... You can never tell what's going to happen at a gig. Sometimes you can do no wrong, no matter what you do the crowd seems to love it. You can screw up royally and the audience will think it's part of the show. But other times, the crowd will be sitting there with their arms folded (in a "show me" kind of way), before you even play a note. There's no accounting for the audience reaction. One just goes out and does one's best. Sounds like you got a good one last night. Count your blessings. :)

6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We have had gigs where we played flawlessly and you could hear the crickets chirping after we finished a song (remember Daffy Duck?)

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I had one of those gigs about two weeks ago. It was the worst gig I personally have ever had. The rest of the band was excellent, but something in my fingers just wasn't working. My knuckles on my right hand kept locking in that nasty double-jointed position. It was bad. Badder than bad. Terrible. The crowd loved the show and the band. Go figure.

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Are you just being hard on yourself or was it major suckage like our case?

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I can't count the number of gigs that I have done where I wanted to kill each and every member of the band for really sucking up a storm. And, the crowds could not be more complimentary! All most bar patrons seem to want is plentiful alcohol and one or two Skynyrd songs, no matter how poorly played. The truth may be that the majority of Joe Six-Pack and Sally House-Coat America can't tell the difference between well played music and stage droppings.

10. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    "Ever feel like you've been cheated"-Johnny Rotten

11. at least you can put it down to having an off day...

me and the band just plain suck. :p :rolleyes:

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I am waaaaay too familiar with this phenomenon for my personal happines. I used to write all the lyrics for my band. But I usually wrote the most about things that pissed me off. Yes, I know. How very emo. But if I am happy I don't want to write. I want to enjoy being happy. If I am annoyed, I want to vent and writing was one way to do it.

Well the guys in the band would frequently tease me with one of two statements when I brought in new lyrics. Either A. "You need a girlfriend." or B. "You need therapy."

So I got a girlfriend that is a therapist. Now she is my wife. My lyrical output has suffered, but I don't mind much.

But a couple of times, both of them basically on a dare, I was requested to write lightweight happy songs, to prove I could.

One is about a guy that is in love/lust with his sisters' Barbie doll. The other is a punk-calypso(I'm not kidding) fusion about going to Padre Island for spring break.

Of course they were the most frequent requests ever.

Dammit. :bawl:

13. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I tell my band this all the time, and I think it's important to remember. No one goes out to see a good band, they go out to have a good time. It's so much more important to give the audience a good time than it is to play your best. I'm not saying to suck all the time, but if people have a great time at your show, even though you suck, they're going to go home saying "that was an awesome band." 99% of your audience knows nothing about music. The only people that might care if you screw something up is other musicians, and they're usually overlycritical anyway.

14. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    This band we recently "reformed." It has been about 15 years since we played in this form. We when did our first gig it went great. I was thinking "why did we ever quit playing?" As we do more jobs, some reasons why are coming back to me. This last gig I could not get anyone to work on a set list. We wasted alot of time between songs with that (I hate that!) The guy who sings most of our stuff alternates between electric guitar,mandolin, and fiddle. It takes him an eternity to swap instruments and then to tune and then retune before and after every song. The others stand there like statues and do not interact with the crowd at all. We had a lot of dead air going on. I am hidden behind the drums in this group and don't sing or have a vocal mic. My other group (where I am the bassist,) is just the opposite. We work from a set list, any changes are handled very quickly and we usually have a good time with the crowd. Dead air is kept to a minimum and things run a heck of a lot smoother.

15. we played a show like this a little bit ago. we decided it'd be fun to bring a charter"party" bus for us and our friends. the booze were flowing on the bus and when we played it was sad but everyone had the time of theirs lives...go figure...haha

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've played a show where at the end, everyone was so drunk that I started strumming my bass, no chording, just all strings ringing out out and in a low death metal voice saying, "Behind the Stadium with you" then screaming "BROWN EYED GIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLL!" and people were freakin' out and clapping, it was hilarious.

17. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Oh.My.God. That is hilarious, someone give this man an award!!!It's even funnier if you look like the guy in your avatar :p *Giggles like a school girl and dissapears into the night*