1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

We Three: Swallow/Liebman/Nussbaum

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RHFusillo, Apr 25, 2006.

1. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wish I could have seen this trio on their swing through Europe earlier this month. Three great players: Steve Swallow, Adam Nussbaum on drums, and Dave Liebman on saxophones. I'm looking forward to getting their new CD.

We Three article in All About Jazz

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Cool! I'll have to check that out.

I saw Swallow with Scofield and Bill Stewart somewhat recently, and it was smokin'. I'm not totally into Steve's sound... but the notes and time are so good:)

I had the pleasure of seing Nussbaum with Michael Brecker quite a while ago, and he was wonderful also.

Thanks for the post.

K

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I but loads of Jazz CDs every month - but I would never buy one where I didn't like the sound of the bass player - I can't imagine why anyone would do this...:confused:

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I don't hate it at all... just not my thing... but his playing is superb, and I enjoy hearing electric bass in a setting that is typically reserved for DB.

5. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here is a news flash for the uninitiated reader: Bruce Lindfield does not like Steve Swallow's tone. At least 2.964% of Mr. Lindfield's 20,000+ posts mention this.

Preemptive strike.

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

But surely people should be allowed to express an opinion and ask a question...

Is TB going to turn into a Magazine like Bass Player where nobody is allowed to say anything bad about anything that comes up for review...:meh:

I think that would be very sad...:(

8. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Who can stop you, Bruce?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Why would you want to....:meh: ?

If people stop posting threads about SS then I won't have anything to reply to - if threads come to the top about him - then I'll reply with my opinion - simple as that! :)

10. RHFusillo

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I finally got this CD. It's as good as I had expected.

These are three players with whom I am very familiar -- I've been familiar with Nussbaum's playing since we were both teenagers. (His groove is the same as it always was; he's just gotten better through the years.) As a teenager in the mid-'70's, I used to hear Liebman play at a weekly jam session. And I've been listening to Swallow for almost as long. We Three is a good, loose session, with excellent interplay. I like Swallow's sound with the Citron bass.

I've also been listening to Mosaic Select: Dave Liebman & Richie Beirach, with live recordings of Liebman's old band, Lookout Farm. They were one of the best bands I ever heard live. They mixed free jazz, fusion, and straight jazz. It was a 1970's vision of eclecticism of the sort that became unpopular in the 1980's. Their bassist, Frank Tusa, grew into a strong player with that band. I don't know what happened to him.