We want the funk!...your daily bass ID quiz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 25, 2005.

1. hey all, just looking through some concert pics, and i saw this pic from a george clinton concert, and this bass really looks sharp...anybody know what kind?
  2. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    Looks like a Yamaha TRB-something 6-string to me.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm gonna say Yamaha. Yup, it's a Patitucci signature 6. Look in the background. That's if it's Rodney Curtis. It looks like him though.

4. ok, i was thinking TRB as well...lets make this quiz harder...
    what kind of top is on that bass?
  5. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Wood ;)
  6. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Mahogany?Spanish Cedar? :bag:
  7. I don't recall ever seeing Mahogany as a top, or Spanish Cedar, which is pretty soft. Of course, I'm completely insane...
  8. It is a Yamaha TRB6PII with a bubinga top. Here is a picture of a TRB5PII with the same top.

It isn't the Patitucci. The Patitucci has different tuners, a different bridge, different pickups, and is missing the extra knob that the TRB6PII has.

Here is the pic from Yamaha's site:

9. The Patitucci has a 'slap cut' on the lower horn- I don't see it on the bass in the original post. And pardon me for noticing, but the dude playing it looks white to me (re:Rodney Curtis).
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I hear ya. I'm only saying so because that's what he says he plays. Here's a link to the article I read. If it's not Rodney, I'd like to know who it is.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmm....further research. Looks like Lige Curry who also plays Yamaha.