Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We want the funk!...your daily bass ID quiz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 25, 2005.

1. hey all, just looking through some concert pics, and i saw this pic from a george clinton concert, and this bass really looks sharp...anybody know what kind?
    [​IMG]

2. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    Looks like a Yamaha TRB-something 6-string to me.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm gonna say Yamaha. Yup, it's a Patitucci signature 6. Look in the background. That's if it's Rodney Curtis. It looks like him though.

[​IMG]

4. ok, i was thinking TRB as well...lets make this quiz harder...
    what kind of top is on that bass?

5. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Wood ;)

6. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Mahogany?Spanish Cedar? :bag:

7. I don't recall ever seeing Mahogany as a top, or Spanish Cedar, which is pretty soft. Of course, I'm completely insane...

8. It is a Yamaha TRB6PII with a bubinga top. Here is a picture of a TRB5PII with the same top.

[​IMG]

It isn't the Patitucci. The Patitucci has different tuners, a different bridge, different pickups, and is missing the extra knob that the TRB6PII has.

Here is the pic from Yamaha's site:

[​IMG]

9. The Patitucci has a 'slap cut' on the lower horn- I don't see it on the bass in the original post. And pardon me for noticing, but the dude playing it looks white to me (re:Rodney Curtis).

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I hear ya. I'm only saying so because that's what he says he plays. Here's a link to the article I read. If it's not Rodney, I'd like to know who it is.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmm....further research. Looks like Lige Curry who also plays Yamaha.