1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

We were asked if the headliner could use our stuff..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Opening for a regional/national act. Big gig for us, but I'm not to keen on the idea. The other guys were cool with it. I have this vision of that band headed out of town and me ordering new drivers ("Oh, sorry dude.")

2. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

Only if it is in the contract and you are being compensated.

Did this once and the Headliners expected us to roadie for them- not in contract- we were only to perform and they would have use of our PA, lights and monitors.

slugger, zon6c-f, wmhill and 6 others like this.
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It's a large civic venue and PA/lights/stage hands, etc. are covered. We won't have to do a thing but why couldn't that player bring in their amp?

4. Agreed 100%!!!

The headliners are looking for a free rental backline. If you loan your gear, have a contract in place first. Collect a refundable deposit up front and consider charging a fee for your service.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Who's producing the show?

Riis

6. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Why has the promoter shelled out for a large venue (and corresponding public liability insurance), lighting, P.A. system, stage hands (and presumably security), but not backline?

The headline act simply don't want to deal with the time, and effort required for load in, set up, tear down, and load out.

They want to show up late, have an extended sound check (without worrying about it being cut short for the logistics of getting the supporting acts equipment on stage - never mind screwing you out of a sound check), and not have to worry about hiring backline themselves.

Do you really want to hang around until after they have finished, before you can pack up, and go home?

Assuming you don't, make sure there is at the very least a cash deposit in your managers hands, in case of damage - before they even plug in.

It's up to you if you want to charge them a rental fee, for the use of your equipment.

Even if the rest of the band is happy to allow strangers the free use of their gear, and wait around until after the show before they can pack up, and head home (whilst the headliners are supping beers / taking a shower / tucked up in their hotel beds), I would still insist the promotor supplies a bass rig, and drum kit.

Guitar amps aren't likely to get thrashed to the point of damage (unless they're smashing guitars into them).

Bass speakers are easily blown, and kick / hi-hat pedals, snare skins, and cymbals are easily broken by heavy handed players.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It’s probably not the headliners themselves, they send a rider to the promoter and they are supposed to handle it. Promoter is probably trying to save some cash. Might be a fly date for the headliner.

nomaj, GregC, zon6c-f and 18 others like this.
  8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Y'know, I've actually played in bands with assclowns who would be like "Whoa, that is so cool! ___________ (insert name of famous headliner) cooked my amp!!!"

Me? FTS

9. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Seriously? What a nerve.

As a tech on tour in the past, I have been surprised to find some support acts expected me (or the other G-tech) to tech for them during their spot. As if I didn't have enough to do!

DrMole likes this.
  10. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I have trouble comprehending why a “headliner” would even consider using some other band’s gear. What if it’s not up to the performance they’re used to and causes their show to be received badly? Does that not factor in?

11. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Bring a Rumble 40, two Frontman 15s and a kid's drum kit.

I kid. Don't let them use your stuff. The one time I allowed one of my amps to be used for backline - and I bought the expendable one as I was pretty sure what was going to happen - the other bands on the bill seemed like they'd all made bets as to who could make my amp catch on fire. They failed, but not for lack of trying. So I'm out of that business.

I agree with the others that say that the bassist and drummer run the most risk here. Above all: drummers should NEVER let anyone else on their cymbals. They will get broken and you will not be compensated.

12. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Use a DI pedal!

fauxtoe, tpa, Jeff Scott and 10 others like this.
  13. Pass unless you want to take the chance with your gear and are fairly compensated for the use of your gear. The promoter can hire a backline as per the obligation.

TBPlayerOC likes this.
  14. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Man, I'd be cool with it, but hey, that's just me.

TheDayMan, gitfiddl and Element Zero like this.
  15. Absolutely, positively NOT.

16. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Well as said, a lot of acts come in with a rider stating what amps and drums that they need.
    I see it all the time.
    Now on the issue of if you are not crazy about them using your gear, then I would say NO, but IF the pay for you guys is decent, I would just get a mid level bass amp rented for the night and you both use it.
    Not always the best idea but it is another thought.
    OR use your head(if seperate) and then rent a cab.

17. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    One of my sayings when I see someone or something taking a total butt-whooping is that he/she/it is being beaten "like a borrowed drum set."

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    National act? Who is it? Honestly, that would make my decision for me.

Boston isn't going to blow your amp. They are all old pro musicians. Some young metal act that is barely considered "national" might. They're all dumb kids just like I was. :D

19. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    Means you can't leave until they are done!!! Unless they have lots of gigs and commit to you as the opening act - what is in it for your band is my question.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  20. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    You TBers are a hard lot. Been on both sides of this. Never a casualty or loss.